National stars join local acts at Saturday in the Park
National acts like Flo Rida, Liz Phair and George Thorogood are on tap for this year’s Saturday in the Park festival at Sioux City’s Grandview Park. A shuttle will be available from the Tyson Events Center.
Admission is free to the entire day’s entertainment, which starts at noon and runs until about 10:30 p.m.
Here’s the schedule:
• Noon - Premium Draft, a blues/rock jam band from the Sioux City area.
• 12:30 p.m. - Ben Grillet and the Black Bloods, an outlaw country outfit from the Sioux City area.
• 1:45 p.m. - The Michigan Rattlers with midwestern folk rock. Their latest EP is “Wasting the Meaning.”
• 3:15 p.m. - Con Brio, a San Francisco R&B, soul and psych-rock band with plenty of international experience and a 2018 album, “Explorer.”
• 5 p.m. - Liz Phair, Grammy-nominated indie rock singer-songwriter, whose debut album “Exile in Guyville” was named one of Rolling Stone’s 500 Greatest Albums of All Time. After touring with The Smashing Pumpkins, she is working on a new record and continuing to shape the role of women in alternative contemporary music.
• 6:45 p.m. - George Thorogood and the Destroyers have sold over 15 million albums and toured relentlessly since 1975, appearing on the likes of SNL, MTV and Live Aid with aggressive blues-based rock. They have performed hits like “Bad to the Bone,” “Who Do You Love,” “Move it on Over,” and “Get a Haircut” in over 8,000 live shows. They are out on their current “Good to be Bad” tour.
• 9 p.m. - Flo Rida, the rapper, singer and songwriter from Miami, brings a melding of hip-hop, R&B and pop to his latest work, #MyHouse and hits like “In My Mind Part 3.” His 2008 breakout single “Low” was number one for 10 weeks and broke the record for digital download sales.
The festival includes the Second Stage that will showcase nine alternative music acts with an emphasis on regional performers.
There will be a Kids Zone with face painting, inflatables, a petting zoo and more. Artists Alley features many vendors, 18 food booths offer everything from curry to gyros to tacos, and a separate beer garden area will be on site (food and coolers cannot be brought into the festival site). The night will end with a fireworks show.