SL speech students perform at Speakers Cafe, shine at State
Storm Lake High School speech students performed for the public at their Speaker’s Cafe on Thursday, March 8.
The individual speech participants from SLHS had a successful day of State Speech at Carroll Kuemper on Saturday, March 10. The team brought home 14 ‘I’ ratings and three ‘II” ratings. Four pieces were nominated as ‘Outstanding’ and will perform at the IHSSA All-State Festival at UNI on March 26.
• Reed Wunschel: Prose
• Nate Nash: Prose
• Dakota Caldwell: Original Oratory
• Zack Brown: Acting
• Zack Brown: Improv
• Grant Gasner: Storytelling
• Grant Gasner: Poetry
• Matthew Marroquin: Poetry
• Matthew Marroquin: Original Oratory
• Jr Zambrana: Poetry
• Jr Zambrana: Musical Theatre
• Molly Gallagher: Expository Address
• Ethan Courter: Prose
• Buena Thammathai: Acting.
• Rachel Bozonie: Musical Theatre
• Christian Clarke: Spontaneous Speaking
• Christian Clarke: Literary Program
All-State Outstanding Nominations:
• Junior Zambrana, 11th grade, Poetry: “Explaining My Depression to My Mother,” Solo Musical Theatre: Land of Lola
• Grant Gasner, 11th grade, Poetry: “I Will Not Let An Exam Grade Decide My Fate”
• Matthew Marroquin, 12th grade, Original Oratory: “A Boy & A Girl”