Itís festival time again in the village of Hanover
The community of Hanover proudly claims its German heritage, which was brought in by German settlers.
Since the 20th century the village of Hanover has been well known throughout the Northwest as being an economic center and the heart of area settlers.
The Hanover store has been a landmark and a stopping place for travelers and a meeting place for the local folk.
The general store was the first business in the village built in 1890. The store was first owned by the Huck family.
The store changed hands several times. Walter Plog took over the store in 1930 and kept it open until 1968.
In the days of the horse drawn carriage, the store provided access to basic goods and supplies needed by the pioneers.
It offered groceries, work clothes, nails, tools and school supplies. Later the store housed a cold storage where people could bring things like meat that needed to be kept frozen.
Sundays were special to the community because they made homemade ice cream. Folks would come in after church and buy a quart or a pint to take home for Sunday dinner. This lasted into the 50ís.
Often times the store was a social gathering space where people congregated and played cards upstairs. There was even a dumbwaiter where folks upstairs could order items from downstairs in the store and have them sent up.
The general store was restored and has old time groceries, household items, sewing supplies, and farm tools.
Many of the display cases are original to the store. Stock items for the store were donated.
ďThe way we measured whether or not the item was old enough was if it had a bar code it wasnít old enough,Ē laughs Vernon Winterhoff.
The blacksmith shop was owned by August Voss and built in the early 1900ís.
He made his tools himself and also sold buggies and lumber wagons. It also served as a service station until the 1940ís.
The corner house dates back to the 1930ís and has been restored to look like the homes did in that time period. It consists of the kitchen, a parlor, and sewing room with looms. Upstairs is an area where the display changes every year.
There is a sawmill that was added in 2006. It is powered by a vintage Woods Brothers steam engine to cut large logs into usable planks of wood.
The Pioneer Barn was added to the village in 2005 and was built with recycled lumber. The barn has a hayloft with sliding door on a pulley system. It features stalls, a chicken coop and many tools used in the daily life of the pioneers.
The machine shed and the mill house was relocated to the sight from another location. The machine shed is unique in that it has an upstairs for storage of equipment.
The mill house still has the pulleys, belts, wheels, and grinder used to grind the feed for the livestock. It is fully restored and in working order.
The Hanover Historical Society was originally started by three couples, Arlan and Marilyn Hinkeldey, Gerald and Lois Radke and Tom and Marty Letzring. Membership has grown to 90 members throughout the country.
Every year they host the Hanover Festival which is always on the last Sunday in August. This year will mark the 21st Annual Hanover Festival on Sunday, August 27 from noon to 7 p.m. It is located at the Junction of C65 and M27.
The public will be able to visit the restored buildings, see vintage machinery displays, working demonstrations and participate in childrenís activities.
A polka band will perform for guestsí listening pleasure and dancing. The music will be provided by Karl and the Country Dutchman and Adam and the Jolly Jammers.
Food will be served from noon until 7 p.m.
Admission is $10 for adults. Children 14 and under are free.