BVU-sponsored events include an indoor triathlon which will be held Sunday, Feb. 10 at the Lamberti Recreation Center and Finkbine Natatorium, with the first group of contestants starting at 8 a.m. The triathlon is planned and run by BVU students in the human performance class of Dr. Matt Hanson, assistant professor of exercise science and director of the human performance program.
The triathlon will include these events: Youth -- 5 minute swim, 15 m. bike, 10 m. run; Mini-Sprint -- 10 m. swim, 20 m. bike, 15 m. run; and Sprint -- 15 m. swim, 30 m. bike, 20 m. run. They are open to individuals and teams, with all teams doing the spring event. Placings will be divided by age group.
Participants can find more information about the event and pre-register at www.bvu.edu/triathlon or register the morning of the event. For questions about the triathlon, contact Hanson at 712-749-2024 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Ellen Schiltz, director of recreation services, says BVU staff and students will also hold a broomball tournament starting at noon on Saturday at BVU's ice rink located directly west of the Recreation House, and straight south of University Cove. Participants are asked to use the stairs by the Recreation House or the beach ingress to access the rink. Broomball teams can preregister at www.bvu.edu/bv/winter or on the day of the tournament.
BVU's ROTC cadets will also hold an obstacle course from 1 to 4 p.m. Saturday at Scout Park.
"We are excited to be collaborating with the city again for this wonderful event," says Schiltz. "It is an essential part of building community within the city and the university and we look forward to sharing in the wide variety of activities planned for all. All we need now is the snow!"
Storm Lake United and several of its members are sponsoring other events over the three days, including ice skating, indoor activities, swimming and a "Lose the Winter Blues Concert" at King's Pointe Resort; cross country skiing; a snow sculpture contest at Scout Park coordinated by the Witter Gallery; a chili and cinnamon roll contest; a disc golf tournament; and an extreme bike ride.
Coordinating the event for Storm Lake United is Paige Baskerville.
Lose the Winter Blues
Dust off your dancing shoes and Lose the Winter Blues at Faith, Hope and Charity's 2nd annual Lose the Winter Blues music event. The concert part of Extreme Winter Festival, will be held at King's Point Resort February 9.
The evening will feature the 8 Seconds Band, a country and rock and roll band from Cedar Rapids. Doors open at 6 p.m. with The Scott Larsen Band, a cover band from Algona, kicking off the evening at 6:30. Silent and live auctions will also be held.
Tickets for the event are $10. New this year is the opportunity to purchase a limited number of VIP tickets at $50 each. VIP tickets include not only the events of the evening, but offer the opportunity to participate in a special hour-long preview of the event.
The VIP event will be held from 5-6 p.m. During this time there will be an open bar, heavy appetizers, the opportunity to preview the auction items and taking advantage of the first options for seating.
VIP and general admission tickets are available at Faith, Hope and Charity, King's Pointe Resort and Storm Lake United. For more information contact Landra Carroll at Faith, Hope and Charity, 1815 West Milwaukee Avenue, P.O. Box 243, Storm Lake, Iowa, 50588, 712-732-5127 or email@example.com.
EXTREME WINTER FESTIVAL
SCHEDULE OF EVENTS
Friday, February 8th
* 6:00 - 9:00 p.m. Ice Skating at Chautauqua Park (see waiver form online at www.stormlakeunited.com)
* 8:00 p.m. - 1:00 a.m. - Bands in Storm Lake Bars
Saturday, February 9th
* All Day - Cross Country Skiing at BVU (see couse map online)
* All Day - Brewster's Beverage Tent at Chautauqua Park
* All Day - Kid's Basketball Tournament at St. Mary's (5th/6th grades)
* 10:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m. - Tree
* Sculpture Carving at Chautauqua Park by Jeff Klatt
* 10:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m. - Extreme Mini Golf at retailers throughout Storm Lake
* 12:00 p.m. - 4:00 p.m. - BVU Broomball Tournament at Scout Park (broomball registration online)
* 12:00 p.m .- 5:00 p.m. - Chili and Cinnamon Roll Cook-Off in the Beverage Tent at Chautauqua Park (registration form/rules online)
* 1:00 p.m. - Extreme Bike Ride, Sponsored by Lakeshore Cyclery (registration online)
* 1:00 - 4:00 p.m. - Disc Golf Tournament on Great Lawn (Sponsored by the Kiwanis Beavers)
* 1:00 - 4:00 p.m. - BVU ROTC Obstacle Course
* 1:00 - 4:00 p.m. - Snow Sculpture Contest at BVU (Sponsored by Witter Gallery)
* 4:00 p.m. - BVU Women's Basketball vs. Luther College
* 6:00 p.m. - BVU Men's Basketball vs. Luther College
* 6:00 - 8:00 p.m. - Ice Skating at Chautauqua Park (ice skating waiver form online)
* 6:00 p.m. - 12:00 a.m. - Faith Hope & Charity Lose the Blues Event at King's Pointe Ballroom
* 5:00 - 6:00 pm - VIP Pre-Party (tickets $50 per person, limited quantity available)
* 6:00 - 10:00 p.m. - Silent Auction
* 6:30 - 8:30 p.m. - Scott Larsen Band
* 9:00 p.m. - 12:00 a.m. - 8 Seconds Band (general tickets are $10 each, limited quantity at Faith, Hope & Charity, Storm Lake United, and King's Pointe)
Sunday, February 10th
* All Day - Cross Country Skiing at BVU (Course will be open all day)
* 8:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m. - BVU Indoor Triathlon (event registration online
* 8:00 a.m. - 12:30 p.m. - Knights of Columbus & D.A.R.E. Omelet Breakfast at the KC Hall
* 9:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. - King's Pointe Family Fun Day, waterpark admission $5 per person
* 12:00 - 3:00 p.m. - Indoor Kid's Activities at King's Pointe Party Dec
If you are interested in becoming a volunteer for the event, contact Paige Baskerville at (712) 732.3780 or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.