It all started with a couple of local guys and the organization of a small broomball tournament. Over 30 years later, with the support of hundreds of community members, the Winter Games has turned into an annual winter festival drawing thousands of people from throughout the Midwest. The University of Okoboji Winter Games is now a weekend full of indoor and outdoor events for all ages.
Here are a few of the entertainment highlights of the games.
Thursday, January 24th
* 5 p.m. - Pre Games Tiki in the Tent Party, Parks Marina. With The Cartwright Brothers Band and the Captain Morgan Battle of the Bartenders.
* 7 p.m. - "La Bamba" free movie and Q & A with Connie Valens, sister of the late Ritchie Valens, Pearson Lakes Art Center.
Friday, January 25th
* Chili Cook Off and Spirit of Harmony Dessert Bar, Expo Bldg. Spirit Lake.
* 7:20 p.m. - Bobby Vee Live, Iowa Rock n Roll Hall of Fame concert, Arrowwood Resort
* 8 p.m. shows - Russell Lachney at Softail Saloon, Moonjuice at Murphy's, Big Nacho Karaoke at Fish House in the Okoboji Boat Works, Brat Pack Radio at Parks Marina, Tripwire at The Ritz, and The Fishheads at the Gardens in Arnolds Park.
Saturday, January 26th
* Ice skating with rentals, Okoboji Boat Works.
* 9:30 a.m. - Chess Tournament - Arnolds Park City Hall
* 10 a.m. - Snowball Drop, Olde Town Spirit Lake, and Freeze Your Fanny Bike Ride from Okoboji Expedition Company. Ben Kirby in concert at The Gardens
* 10-noon - Cooking With Donna, Annabelle's Tea Room, Okoboji
* 11 a.m. - People Project, forming a snowy owl on the ice for an aerial photos, Lakeside Lab
* 11 a.m. - Marshmallow Man blaster competition, A Piece of Work, Spirit Lake.
* 11 - 2, Family Fun Bowling, Corner Lanes
* 1 p.m. - Tim Horstman concert, Parks Marina
* 2 p.m. - Midnight - Blue Water Band, Softail Saloon
* 3 p.m. - Hey Good Cookies cookie eating contest, Expo Bldg. in Spirit Lake, Polar Plunge at State Pier, Mighty Nish Band at Parks Marina
* 5 p.m. - Outrageous Outerwear Contest, Parks Marina, Cartwright Brothers at Arnolds Park
* 6:30 p.m. U of O Extravaganza - burning of the greens at preservation plaza, 21-gun salute, national anthem, fireworks.