[Masthead] Fair ~ 45°F  
High: 74°F ~ Low: 55°F
Thursday, May 5, 2016

Smoking in bed sparks Cayuga Street apartment fire

Friday, January 11, 2013

(Photo)
Storm Lake firefighters carry out a smoking mattress from 401 Cayuga St. #202 after responding to a report of thick smoke pouring from the upstairs apartment mid-Wednesday morning. / Ashley Miller
Shortly after 10 a.m. Wednesday morning, the Storm Lake Fire and Police Departments responded to a call of thick smoke pouring from the windows of 401 Cayuga Street #202.

Fire Chief Mike Jones told the Pilot-Tribune the apartment's resident had been smoking in bed about an hour before fire alarms were triggered.

"He was really lucky," Jones said.

No injuries were reported.

As a handful of evacuated residents watched from a safe distance, firefighters carried out and extinguished a smoldering mattress in front of the building, later returning inside to ventilate the upstairs apartment.

While fire damage was limited to the mattress, smoke damage was prevalent throughout the apartment, Jones said.

The building is owned by Dave and Ruth Peterson.



Respond to this story

Posting a comment requires free registration: