Wanted person arrested
* On Thursday, Jan. 3, at approximately 2 p.m. a Storm Lake Police Officer while on patrol observed a wanted person in the 100 block of Salebarn Road.
Police made contact with and arrested Anthony Trevino III, age 41, of Storm Lake. Trevino was wanted on a warrant charging him with Violation of Probation reference Public Intoxication 3rd Offense.
He was booked into the Buena Vista County Jail on a $1,000.00 cash bond.
SL teen arrested for posession of marijuana at school
* On Friday, Jan. 4, at approximately 1 p.m., the Storm Lake Police Department took a report of a student in possession of marijuana at the Storm Lake Middle School.
Police were advised that school officials located a small amount of marijuana on the floor in the men's restroom near the school commons area. An investigation alleges that a 13-year-old male of Storm Lake was seen near the restroom and was allegedly in possession of a small amount of marijuana and drug paraphernalia on his person.
Following an investigation police charged the 13-year-old with Possession of a Controlled Substance (serious misdemeanor) and Possession of Drug Paraphernalia (simple misdemeanor).
He was processed and then transported to the Youth Detention Facility in Cherokee pending a court date.
The case has been forwarded to the Juvenile Court Authority.
* On Friday, Jan. 4, at approximately 7:02 a.m., the Storm Lake Fire Department responded to 1702 Rose Lane in reference to a fire on a stove.
Upon arrival of fire fighters they entered the residence and did not locate fire but did locate a gas leak coming from piping connected to the stove. Fire fighters shut off the gas service to the residence which stopped the leaking gas.
An investigation determined that an occupant had pulled the stove away from the wall to retrieve a utensil that had fallen behind it. The flexible connector ruptured causing leaking gas which ignited and burned. The occupant attempted to extinguish the fire with a pan of water and then evacuated the residence.
Damage was isolated to the stove.
The residence is owned by Maria Escobar of Storm Lake.
The fire department was on scene for approximately 30 minutes and was assisted at the scene by the Storm Lake Police Department and Alliant Energy.
One arrested for possession of pot; more charges are pending
* On Sunday, Jan. 6, at approximately 8:10 p.m., a Storm Lake Police Officer stopped a vehicle in the 200 block of West Milwaukee Avenue.
Upon contacting the driver identified as Gilbert Palomares Jr., age 20 of Storm Lake police allege they detected the odor of marijuana coming from the vehicle.
Police searched the vehicle and located a small amount of marijuana inside of the car. Police further located additional marijuana which was possessed by Palomeres. Police additionally located alcohol in the vehicle and seized it.
Police arrested Palomares and charged him with Possession of a Controlled Substance (serious misdemeanor), Possession of Alcohol and Possession of Drug Paraphernalia (both simple misdemeanors). He was booked into the Buena Vista County Jail on a $1,600 cash bond.
At approximately 1:15 a.m., Monday, Jan. 7, Storm Lake Police executed a search warrant at Palomares's residence located at 221 Seneca Street. At that location police located and seized additional marijuana packaged for street sales and additional drug paraphernalia.
Additional charges are pending.
* On Jan. 5, at approximately 6:28 p.m., at the intersection of Northwestern and Milwaukee, a vehicle driven by Vicki Ulven of Storm Lake was involved in an accident with another vehicle driven by Jamie Stevicks of Alta.
One injury was reported and total damages were estimated at $2,200. Stevicks was cited for Failure to Stop in a Safe and Assured Distance.