Christmas tree fire damages SL home
The Storm Lake Fire and Police Departments and Buena Vista County Sheriff's Department responded to a house fire at 214 Kenzy at approximately 10:54 a.m.Thursday.
Thick black smoke could be seen billowing out the front door as firefighters extinguished a fire burning on the living room floor at the base of a Christmas tree and began to ventilate the home, owned by Jose and Maria Morales.
An investigation determined an electrical short in an extension cord leading to Christmas tree lights ignited packages under the tree.
No one was home at the time of the fire, and no injuries were reported.
The fire was contained to the living room, with moderate smoke damage reported throughout the residence. Total damages are estimated at $4,000. First responders were on scene for approximately one hour.