The annual Adopt A Family for Christmas program continues to see heartwarming success. So far, 162 needy families have been "adopted" by individuals and groups that will help to provide the Christmas experience they might otherwise not have.
Eleven more families are currently on the list, and in difficult economic times, it is expected to grow to perhaps 200 total before the adoption deadline on December 14.
The Pilot-Tribune and Upper Des Moines Opportunity co-sponsor the program each year, matching generous individuals, families, businesses, clubs, classrooms and church groups with Buena Vista County families living at poverty level.
Anyone who would like to participate may call our hotline at 732-1757 with the code number for the family they would like to adopt, and our operator will be able to provide specific information on their needs. Then simply shop for food for a holiday meal, gifts, gift certificates, or whatever you would like to give.
Note: With a shortage of volunteers, we are asking this year that packages be wrapped when they are brought in, prior to Dec. 18. Families that would like to participate on the list are asked to contact UDMO by December 1.
2012 Adopt a Family List
117. Mom and dad, girl 1 and 10, boys 2, 4, 12
141. Mom and dad, girls 5, 11, 15 and 17, boy 8
145. Single mom, girl 16, girl 5, boy 8
156. Mom and dad, five girls 17, 13, 10, 9, 7
157. Single mom, girls 16 and 15
166. Mom and dad, boys 17, 14, 11, 6; newborn girl
169. Single mom, girl 16, girl 12
170. Single mom, boys 12 and 2
171. Single mom, boy 8, girl 5
172, Single mom, boy 2, girl 3
173. Elderly woman.