The annual Adopt A Family for Christmas program has already seen heartwarming success. In its first week, 97 needy families have been "adopted" by individuals and groups that will help to provide the Christmas experience they might otherwise not have.
Seventeen more families are currently on the list, and in difficult economic times, it is expected to grow to perhaps 200 total before the adoption deadline on Dec. 14.
The Pilot-Tribune and Upper Des Moines Opportunity co-sponsor the program each year, matching generous individuals, families, businesses, clubs, classrooms and church groups with Buena Vista County families living at poverty level.
Anyone who would like to participate may call the hotline at 732-1757 with the code number for the family they would like to adopt, and an operator will be able to provide specific information on their needs. Then simply shop for food for a holiday meal, gifts, gift certificates, or whatever you would like to give.
Note: With a shortage of volunteers, it is asked this year that packages be wrapped when they are brought in, prior to Dec. 18. Families that would like to participate on the list are asked to contact UDMO by Dec. 1.
2012 Adopt a Family List
64. Mom, dad, boys 9,15, girl 7
77. Single mom, girls 17, 12
78. Single mom, girls 12, 10,boy 15
82. Mom, dad, girls 12, 8,1,boy 7
84. Mom, dad, boys 12, 5
88. Mom, dad, boys 18, 9, girl 13
91. Mom, dad, boys 7, 4, girl 5
93. Mom, dad, boys 14,12, girls 14,12
94. Mom, dad, boys 10, 9, 4, 4 months
101. Mom, dad, grandpa, grandma, boy 5
105. Single mom, boy 18, boy 10
108. Mom and dad, boy 9, girl 2
109. Elderly woman
111. Mom and dad, boy 9, boy 6, girl 1
112. Single mom, girl 16
113. Elderly man
114. Mom and dad, boy 11, boy 9, girl 7