JH football team splits games with Sioux Central

Friday, October 19, 2012


The Alta-Aurelia Junior High Warriors traveled to Albert City on Tuesday, Sept. 25 to take on the Rebels of Sioux Central. The seventh grade started of the action. The Warriors started slow on offense, moving the ball well but stalling and failing to finish their drives resulting in no first half scores. Although highlights were hard to come by in the first half, hard earned yards by Cooper Siebrecht allowed the Warriors to keep the advantage of field position when the tough defense anchored by good line play of Ricky Pizano, Jacob Hull, Collin Johnson, and Tristan Janssen). The Warriors finally took advantage of the good field position when Kaleb Sleezer found the endzone with a 18-yard touchdown run by recovering a fumble caused by Collin Johnson. The second half brought much of the same as the Warriors moved the ball, only to come up short and stall several times when penalties forced the Warriors to punt and rely on their defense to hold. "Sometimes things just don't go how we want, and the guys did what they needed to keep themselves in a position to win, playing good defense and driving thru adversity," said Coach Fry. The Warriors won the game with good defense supported by leading tacklers Cooper Siebrecht (seven), Caleb Renteria (seven), Carson Kruger, Kaleb Sleezer, and Collin Johnson all with five tackles apiece.


The second game at Sioux Central got off to a rough start when the Rebels second play from scrimmage ended with a 65-yard touchdown run by Sioux Central to go ahead 6-0. The Warriors responded with a offensive drive headed by good blocking and hard running by Jared Weiland who took the ball in on a 18-yard touchdown run making the score 6-6. Sioux Central presented a good running offense challenge to the Warrior defense. However, the defense responded until the Rebel running back finally broke free right before halftime to make the score 12-6 in favor of the Rebels. Offensively, the Warriors were led by good running only to fall victim twice to penalties on two separate touchdown runs by Jared Weiland. After getting the penalties, the drives ended in turnover on downs, and the Rebels took over. At halftime the Warriors were down 12-6. The Rebels came out strong with a strong running attack and made it to the 8-yard line when Jared Weiland and Jason Hinkeldey teamed up and forced a fumble with John Tuttle recovering the bounce and was headed toward the endzone on a scoop. However, the referees whistle stopped the play and was declared an inadvertant whistle resulting in the down being replayed. Shortly after Sioux Central went ahead 18-6. The Warriors continued to battle and tried to move the ball. Quarterback Ryan Radke was intercepted and the ball was returned for a 24- yard touchdown putting the Warriors down 24-6. The game concluded with one more Rebel score and the final of 30-6 against the Warriors. Defensively, the Warriors were led in tackles by Jared Weiland (nine), Ryan Radke (eight), along with John Tuttle, Skylar Solko, Jason Hinkeldey, and Parker Nelson all getting five.