[Masthead] Fair ~ 84°F  
High: 88°F ~ Low: 47°F
Friday, May 6, 2016

Man injured in propane explosion

Monday, September 24, 2012

A local man has been hospitalized after an explosion inside an outbuilding where he was apparently working on a furnace Thursday night.

Leonard Hartje, 72 of 5632 160th Avenue, was transported to Buena Vista Regional Medical Center and Lifeflighted to Omaha. He was later taken to a burn center in Lincoln, Neb., where he was being treated Friday.

A propane line leak in the basement of the outbuilding apparently caused the gas to build up, and with an ignition, explode. Damage to the building was estimated at around $50,000.

Sheriff's deputies, Storm Lake Fire Department and ambulances from Storm Lake and Newell responded. SLFD and the Buena Vista County Sheriff's Department investigated.



Respond to this story

Posting a comment requires free registration: