[Masthead] Fair ~ 70°F  
High: 84°F ~ Low: 55°F
Thursday, May 5, 2016

No injuries as blaze destroys fairgrounds concessions building

Wednesday, July 18, 2012

(Photo)
The BV Raceway concession building and contents were destroyed in a fire early Saturday morning. Damage is estimated at $80,000. / Photo by Lorri Glawe
Officials have concluded that an electrical malfunction was the cause of a fire that destroyed the concessions building at the Buena Vista County Fairgrounds in the early morning hours Saturday.

A 911 call shortly after 12:30 a.m. reported the building, which is located near the racetrack and used for the BV Raceway events all season, on fire. Shortly after that, flames could be seen coming through the roof and the northwest side of the building as deputies and Alta firefighters began to arrive on the scene.

It was originally feared that there could be four potentially explosive 20-gallon propane tanks located inside the building, so officers began to block off the entire area and account for the people who had been camping on the grounds. Later, it was reported that at the time of the fire, it appeared only one tank was left inside, with others outside the building.

Firefighters worked to contain the fire to the concessions building, and brought it under control within about 20 minutes. They remained at the scene for about two hours. The building is considered a complete loss and other vendors for the fair had nearby electrical hook-ups to store their frozen food products, which were also destroyed.

Parked only feet from the stand was a trailer owned by Ron Hott - Hott Mini Doughnuts & More - which was on the grounds for the fair.

Hott's trailer sustained soot and smoke damage, which can be professionally cleaned, and a great deal of food in the trailer needed to be thrown out but the trailer survived. He is thankful for the quick response of the fire fighters.

After a joint investigation running from the time of the fire until 7 a.m. Saturday, officials from the sheriffs department and fire department concluded that an electrical problem had caused the blaze. The concession building had been heavily used on Wednesday and Thursday nights during motor sports at the fair, but had not been open on Friday night, according to Sheriff Gary Launderville.

Total loss to the building and contents is currently estimated at $80,000.

No injuries were reported, and the fairgrounds were able to be opened as scheduled later Saturday morning.



Respond to this story

Posting a comment requires free registration: