"Sailing is a great lifetime sport and Storm Lake is a great sailing lake -- many times you have the lake to yourself," said Peterson, a veteran sailor who has been leading the Kiwanis sailing academy since the beginning.
"It has been fun to watch the young sailors gain self confidence and learn responsibility. During our youth sailing events, they are on a small sailboat with an inexperienced passenger and they take them out, show them something about sailing, have some fun and bring them back safely without an adult looking over their shoulder.
"Our sailors learn to handle shifting winds, boat traffic and even tipping over. The young people in your house could be doing a lot worse things than learning to sail with Kiwanis Community Sailing -- the lake is here -- appreciate it!"
All registrations received by Friday, June 15 qualify for a 10% early bird discount. The Kiwanians have a few 50% scholarships available for those in need -- call Rick at 299-4374 for more information on how to apply. Here are the various events included in the 2012 program:
* Youth Learn to Sail Class -- Cost is $100 donation - The all day course will run July 9 through July 13 (8:30 p.m. to 4:30 p.m.) and the half day sessions run July 16-July 27 either in the mornings (8:30 to noon) or afternoons (1:00 to 4:30 p.m.).
* Adult Learn to Sail Class -- $100 donation - Five evening sessions July 9 through July 13. Mom or Dad register and bring a son or daughter along. Both Learn to Sail for the price of one!
* Free Family Sailing - Family groups are invited to bring a picnic or barbecue to our dock site for an evening of sailing fun. We will line up volunteer sailors to introduce sailing to your families. You must call Rick Peterson (cell 299-4374) at least two weeks prior to your date to arrange your event. These events can be scheduled Monday and Wednesday evenings beginning Monday, July 16 through Wednesday, August 29.
* Free Youth Sailing Events - Youth groups are invited to bring a picnic or barbecue to the Kiwanis program dock site for an evening of sailing fun. They will line up volunteer sailors to introduce sailing to your youth group. You must call Rick Peterson (cell 299-4374) at least two weeks prior to your date to arrange your event. These events can be scheduled Monday and Wednesday evenings beginning Monday, July 16 through Wednesday, August 29.
* Free Open Sailing Opportunities - HyNoon Kiwanis owns eight sailboats. These boats are available for use by community members during designated "Open Sailing" opportunities. During these times, community members that have demonstrated that they are competent sailors, can use our sailboats for personal entertainment and enjoyment throughout Storm Lake. Open sailing will be scheduled on an ad hoc basis -- limited only by when volunteers are available - If you know of a sailor that would be willing to supervise these opportunities, please contact Rick Peterson at 299-4374 cell.
* Smile - you may be on candid camera. The Kiwanis program will be making a videotape of many of this summer's events -- you might be in pictures!