SL man arrested for filing false police report for burglary
* On Sunday, Jan. 1, at approximately 3:30 a.m., the Storm Lake Police Department was dispatched to 312 Hudson Street in reference to a 911 call in reference to a burglary and assault.
Upon arrival police found evidence of a forced entry at the residence reportedly by a Cesar Zeledon-Ramirez, age 34 of Spirit Lake, and multiple other people in the residence. Police were told that two black males forced entry into the residence and while armed with ball bats and beer bottles assaulted the occupants. Police observed two subjects to be bleeding from wounds to their face or head. One of the persons was transported by paramedics to the Buena Vista Regional Medical Center for treatment.
Police encountered a large number of people in the residence and transported them to the police station for questioning. Following an investigation through the early morning hours of Sunday police allege that the occupants' statements contradicted each other and that subsequently it was learned that no forced entry had taken place and sort of disturbance occurred in the home involving just the occupants. Police report the occupants were not cooperative in the investigation.
Sunday morning police arrested Cesar Zeledon-Ramirez and charged him with False Report to Police, Disorderly Conduct and Criminal Mischief 5th Degree. He was booked into the Buena Vista County Jail on a $1,600 cash bond.
Lakeside woman arrested for theft from laundromat
* On Friday, Dec. 30, at approximately 9:07 p.m., the Storm Lake Police Department was dispatched to Osegaro Laundry located at 201 Flindt Drive in reference to a theft.
Upon arrival of police they met with the reporting party who directed them to a store security video which reflected a woman using the bill changer machine. The machine malfunctioned and released approximately $124 in cash to the woman who then allegedly took the money and left the Laundromat.
Police identified the woman as Brandi Severtsen, age 28 of Lakeside. Police allege that Severtsen took the coins and proceeded to the Wal-Mart Store where she switched the coins over to cash.
At approximately 10 p.m., police located Severtsen at her residence on East Lakeshore Drive in Lakeside, and arrested her. She was charged with Theft 5th Degree. Police further determined that she was wanted out of Mills County, on the charge of Violation of Probation reference Theft 3rd Degree. She was booked into the Buena Vista County Jail on a $2,300 cash bond.
The Storm Lake Police Department was assisted by the Buena Vista County Sheriffs Department.
Merrill man and SL man arrested after argument
* On Sunday, Jan. 1, at approximately 8:46 p.m., the Storm Lake Police Department was dispatched to 12 Park Court in reference to a report of a disturbance in progress.
Upon arrival of police they observed two men standing near the residence. Police made contact with the two and learned that an argument had occurred between two men in the home over one man hugging another man.
Police observed one of the males to be visibly upset and allegedly intoxicated. Following an investigation police identified the man as Rommel Guzman, age 35 of Merrill. Police arrested Guzman and charged him with Public Intoxication. He was booked into the Buena Vista County Jail on a $300 cash bond.
As officers arrested Guzman a second male identified as Gabriel Dineros, age 27 of Storm Lake allegedly attempted to interfere with the arrest and refused officer's commands. He was arrested and charged with Interference With Official Acts and Public Intoxication. He was booked into the county jail on a $600 cash bond.
SL man charged with disorderly conduct
* On Monday, Jan. 2, at approximately 8:15 p.m. the Storm Lake Police Department was dispatched to 801 Erie Street in reference to a disturbance.
Upon arrival of police they allege that a male subject identified as Frederick Scott, age 26 of Storm Lake, had attempted to start a confrontation with an adult female at that location. He then left the area.
Police located Scott at 710 Geisinger Road #4 and arrested him without incident. Scott was charged with Disorderly Conduct and booked into the Buena Vista County Jail on a $300 cash bond.
SL man arrested for possession of drug contraband
* On Sept. 3, 2011 Storm Lake Police arrested a Martin Jimenez, age 27 of Storm Lake, on the charges of Public Intoxication and Interference With Official Acts.
Police allege that when Jimenez was booked into the Buena Vista County Jail they located and seized from him a white substance located in a folded one dollar bill. The substance was submitted to the Iowa State Crime Lab and an analysis returned that the substance was cocaine.
Storm Lake Police acquired an arrest warrant charging Jimenez with Possession of Drug Contraband (class D felony). On Tuesday, Dec. 27, 2011, at 8:30 a.m. he surrendered himself at the Buena Vista county Jail and was booked in on a $5,000 cash bond.
Sac City man arrested for theft from Storm Lake apartment
* On Thursday, Nov. 17, the Storm Lake Police Department took a burglary report at a residence located at 503 ½ Lake Avenue.
At the time of the report, police were told that someone had entered the apartment and stole over $300 in property.
Storm Lake Police conducted an investigation and identified an alleged suspect as Bradley Homer, age 20 of Sac City. On Dec. 27, 2011 warrants were issued charging Homer with Burglary 3rd Degree (class D felony) and Theft 4th Degree (serious misdemeanor).
On Wednesday, Dec. 28, 2011, Homer was arrested in Sac City, by the Sac City Police Department. He was transferred to the Buena Vista County Jail and held on a $6,000 cash bond.
During the investigation a stolen headset and wireless rotator were recovered.
The Storm Lake Police Department was assisted by the Sac City Police Department.
SL woman arrested on theft warrant
* On Tuesday, Dec. 27, 2011, at approximately 6:53 p.m., the Storm Lake Police Department responded to 20 South Windsor Drive in reference to located a wanted person.
Upon arrival police located and arrested Angieleen Olpet, age 34 of Storm Lake, who was wanted on a warrant charging her with Theft 5th Degree.
Olpet was booked into the Buena Vista County Jail on a $300 cash bond.
SL man arrested for threatening to shoot two people
* On Monday, Dec. 26, 2011, the Storm Lake Police Department took a report of a threat which had been made towards two people.
The reporting party told police that at approximately 12:30 a.m. on the morning of Sunday, Dec. 25, 2011, they were outside of the Little Vientiane Restaurant located at 805 Flindt Drive when an argument broke out between the reporting party and a person identified as Khamphay Thammavong, age 40 of Storm Lake.
During the argument Thammavong allegedly threatened to shoot the reporting party and another witness at the scene. He then departed the parking lot.
Police investigated the incident and on Tuesday, Dec. 27, 2011, at approximately 5:30 p.m., located Thammavong at a residence at 1021 Witter Street. Police arrested Thammavong without incident and charged him with two counts of Harassment 3rd Degree and Disorderly Conduct. He was booked into the Buena Vista County Jail on a $900 cash bond.
No injures were reported.
SLFD called to gas leaks
* On Monday, Jan. 2, at approximately 9:14 p.m., the Storm Lake Fire Department was dispatched to 137 Kenzy Street in reference to a natural gas odor in the basement of the residence.
Upon arrival of fire fighters they entered the residence but were unable to detect any leaking gas.
Alliant Energy responded to the scene and upon their arrival checked piping in the residence. They located several small leaks that were determined to be non-hazardous.
The fire department was on scene for approximately 15 minutes and was assisted at the scene by the Storm Lake Police Department and Alliant Energy.
* On Thursday, Dec. 29, at approximately 4:26 p.m., the Storm Lake Fire Department responded to Graham Tire Company located at 401 Flindt Drive in reference to a reported natural gas leak.
Upon arrival of fire fighters it was determined that the business had been evacuated. A gas leak was located in the northwest corner of the facility. A gas service had been struck rupturing the piping and causing the gas to leak.
Fire fighters shut off the flow of gas to the meter.
Alliant Energy staff were dispatched to the scene to make the appropriate repairs.
Fire fighters were on scene for approximately 10 minutes and were assisted by the Storm Lake Police Department.
No injuries were reported.
* On Monday, Jan. 2, at approximately 6:30 p.m., the Storm Lake Fire Department responded to 401 Cayuga Street in reference to an automated fire alarm.
Upon arrival of fire fighters they determined that cooking smoke on the first floor had activated the alarm system.
There was no fire and no damage.
The fire department was on scene for approximately 10 minutes and was assisted at the scene by the Storm Lake Police Department.
* On Friday, Dec. 30, at approximately 3:19 p.m., the Storm Lake Fire Department responded to the Boathouse, located at 502 Lake Avenue, in referenced to a reported fire at the building.
Upon arrival of fire fighters it was determined that a grease fire had occurred in a smoker on the south side of the building and that the fire had burned itself out.
There was no damage.
The fire department was on scene for approximately 5 minutes and was assisted by the Storm Lake Police Department and Iowa State Patrol.
* On Dec. 29, at approximately 4:23 a.m. on Abner Bell Road near the intersection of Hyland Drive and Abner Bell Road, a vehicle driven by Cheston Hartwell of Storm Lake struck a deer causing total damages estimated at $1,000.
* On Dec. 24, at 1205 E. Lakeshore Drive in Storm Lake, a vehicle owned by Jennifer Hemmingsen of Storm Lake was struck by an unknown vehicle. Damages were estimated at $2,000.
* On Dec. 22, at approximately 12:28 p.m., at the intersection of W. 6th Street and Geneseo Street in Storm Lake, a vehicle driven by Liz Flores of Storm Lake was involved in an accident with another vehicle driven by Snow Win of Storm Lake. The two vehicles collided causing total damages estimated at 3,000. Win was cited for Violation of Instruction Permit, Fail to Obey Stop Sign, and No Insurance.
* On Dec. 15, at approximately 12 p.m., at 408 Barton Street in Storm Lake, a vehicle driven by James Keefe of Storm Lake was involved in an accident with another vehicle driven by Rosemarie Steinfeld of Storm Lake. The two vehicles collided causing total damages estimated at $2,000.
* On Dec. 26, a theft at 607 W 9th Street in Storm Lake was reported. Items reported missing were estimated at $125.
* On Dec. 27, two vandalisms were reported in Storm Lake with combined damages totaling $350.