[Masthead] Mostly Cloudy ~ 12°F  
Feels like: -5°F
Tuesday, Mar. 3, 2015

Marvin C. Kolpin

Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Marvin C. Kolpin, a long time resident of Storm Lake, died Feb. 28, 2011 at the Buena Vista Regional Medical Center. A memorial service for Marvin was held Thursday March 3, 2011 at All Saints Episcopal Church in Storm Lake. The Fratzke & Jensen Funeral Home in Storm Lake was in charge of the arrangements.

Marv was born at home in Aurelia, on April 11, 1922 to Leo and Linda Kolpin. He was the 3rd of 7 Kolpin children who were raised in Aurelia during the depression years. Life was tough for the Kolpins and their offspring, all of whom were expected to work and contribute to the support of the family. Marvin became his mother's baking assistant. Each week 14 loaves of bread were baked by Marvin and his mother to feed the hungry Kolpin clan. From this experience came Marvin's lifelong vocation of baking and cooking for others.

Although most of Marv's youth was spent working and helping to support his family, he and his brother Leland did find time to play football for the Aurelia Bulldogs. Leland was a pulling guard who blocked for Marvin who was quick out of the backfield.

Marv graduated from high school in 1939 and moved to Storm Lake to work in the local bakery. From then on, he made his home in Storm Lake except for the 3 years he served in the Army during World War II. Marvin met and courted Virginia (Ginny) Mae Krasky of Storm Lake. They were married on June 2, 1942, shortly before Marvin was inducted into the U.S. Army. After the Army learned that Marv was a baker in civilian life, he was sent to Army cooking and baking school at Camp Breckinridge Kentucky and was eventually transferred to the European theatre to feed the hungry troops who were fighting to defeat the German army.

Following his military service, Marv returned to Storm Lake to continue his life with his beloved Ginny. He was a partner in a local short order restaurant and in 1963 was hired as cook for the Ken-A-Bob, a famous local buffet. Marv worked faithfully at the Ken-A-Bob until its closure in the 1990's. His barbecue ribs were renowned throughout the region but Marv would not reveal the ingredients of his secret sauce to anyone.

In 1988 Ginny died and Marv bravely soldiered on. He had the support of many friends from his days at the Ken-A-Bob and from All Saints Church where Ginny was a long term parishioner. Marv also had great and loyal neighbors in Rockwell Court where he lived for over 60 years.

Marv was preceded in death by his wife, Ginny, an infant daughter, Barbara, two sisters, Arlene and Lola and a brother Richard. He is survived by his brothers Leland (Bernie) of Estherville, Wilford of Colorado and sister, Ferne of Sioux Falls.

The family wishes to express its eternal gratitude for the many acts of kindness and help performed by Dr. Tim Daniels and the staff of the Buena Vista Regional Medical Center and by Marv's many friends and neighbors who supported him over the years and especially during his last illness.