[Masthead] Overcast and Windy ~ 45°F  
High: 46°F ~ Low: 41°F
Saturday, Apr. 30, 2016

Area man honored with Life-Saver award at State Fair

Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Governor Chet Culver honored 17 citizen heroes at the State Fair when he presented the 2009 Governor's Lifesaving Awards, including a Pomeroy man who endured carbon monoxide poisoning and frostbite to save a neighbor from a blaze.

"One of the most rewarding acts as Governor is to celebrate the actions of Iowans whose quick thinking and self-sacrifice helped save a life," said Governor Culver.

The Governor's Lifesaving Award Program was implemented in the 1970s to recognize Iowans who have performed a courageous act in an emergency situation. The honors are administered by the Department of Public Safety, and selected by a committee within the department.

On March 9, 2010, around 10:30 a.m., Bob Schossow went to his craft shop in Pomeroy to light an LP heater. A short while later, he smelled raw gas and reached down to shut it off. The heater flared up and before he could respond appropriately, it exploded. The sides of the shop bowed out, the loft toppled down on him and the back end of the building was gone.

Read more of this story in the August 17 Pilot Tribune.

Copyright 2010 Storm Lake Pilot Tribune. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.



Respond to this story

Posting a comment requires free registration: