Marvin Arlin Fred Radke was born on and spent his first 84 years on the farm his parent's first farmed in Hanover. He and his wife Dorothy moved to Otsego Place in Storm Lake a couple of months ago. He was born on Jan. 9, 1926 in Hanover, (near Alta). He was the second youngest of seven children to William and Lena Hustedt Radke. Marvin was baptized, confirmed and schooled at St. John Lutheran Church and School in Hanover.
On Sept. 25, 1949, he married Dorothy Louise Johnson at Trinity Lutheran Church in Alta. The couple celebrated 60 years of marriage last September. To this marriage they had three sons.
In 1952 Marvin was called to serve his country in the Korean Conflict. He served in the Army and earned a Bronze Star for saving a comrade's life when he pulled the injured serviceman out of a bombed bunker. He returned home safely in 1953.
Marvin was a farmer his entire life, raising corn, beans and livestock. He was a favorite for helping others baling and shelling because he was such a hard worker. Even when he was officially retired from farming, he was still a great help to his son Rich who took over the farming operation in 1991 and to other friends and family.
He is preceded in death by his parents; three brothers, Arthur, Harry and Edgar (Lavonne); three sisters, Verna (Walter) Sump, Lorene (Louis) Schuelke, and an infant sister.
Left to cherish his memory are his wife of 60 years, Dorothy of Storm Lake; sons, Bruce (Diane) of Clinton, David (Anne) of Onawa, and Richard of Alta; grandchildren, Lanna Radke of Olathe, Kan., Chris (Courtney) Radke of Clinton, Erhren (Matt) Radke-Mitsdarffer of Raymore, Mo., Dr. Joshua Radke of Sacramento, Calif., and Meghann (Rob) MacKinnon of Blaine, Minn.; great-grandchildren, Owen Radke and Miranda MacKinnon; and sisters-in-laws, Ruth Radke and Marcella Radke.
Despite having occasional bouts with Alzheimer's, he was able to live a full and fruitful life enjoying family and friends right up until the end, something his family will be forever thankful for.
Memorials may be sent to the St. John Lutheran Church of Alta, Iowa (Hanover).