Four arrested in home drug search
* On Thursday, Feb. 11, at approximately 1:10 p.m. the Storm Lake Police Department Entry Team supported by the K9 Unit and investigators executed a search warrant at a residence located at 205 West 6th Street #1.
Police executed the search warrant in connection with the alleged sales of crack cocaine and marijuana from the apartment.
Upon executing the search warrant police located and seized marijuana and drug paraphernalia used for smoking crack cocaine.
Following an investigation police arrested the following at the apartment.
Frederick Scott, age 23 of Storm Lake was charged with Gathering Where Controlled Substances are Used (serious misdemeanor) and Possession of a Controlled Substance (Marijuana) (serious misdemeanor). He was booked into the Buena Vista County Jail on a $2,000 cash bond.
Lauren Lepinsky, age 20 of Storm Lake was charged with Gathering Where Controlled Substances are Used. She was booked into the county jail on a $1,000 cash bond.
Lashun Bagsby, age 40 and Maurice Jones, age 46 both of Storm Lake were charged with Gathering Where Controlled Substances are Used and Possession of Drug Paraphernalia. They were both booked into the county jail on a $1,300 cash bond each.
Three charged in SLPD tobacco compliance
* On Wednesday, Feb. 10, the Storm Lake Police Department in conjunction with the Iowa Alcoholic Beverage Division conducted compliance checks in Storm Lake for illegal sales of tobacco to minors.
The police department reports that eleven businesses licensed to sell tobacco were checked. Nine of the businesses were in full compliance and staff at two of the businesses allegedly sold tobacco products to an underage patron.
Following an investigation police charged three persons at the two establishments who reportedly sold the tobacco products.
Police charged the following with Providing Tobacco to a Minor (simple misdemeanor):
Brandon Pottebaum, age 21 of Storm Lake (Al's Liquor)
Zachary Schmidt, age 23 of Storm Lake (Fareway)
17 year old Female of Storm Lake (Fareway)
All three subjects were cited and released pending a court date.
A summary of the checks will be forwarded to the Iowa Alcoholic Beverage Division.
Additional compliance checks are anticipated.
SL man wanted out of Scott County arrested
* On Thursday, Feb. 11, at approximately 8:00 p.m. the Storm Lake Police Department responded to 1213 North Seneca Street in reference to locate a wanted subject.
Upon arrival police made contact with Ronnie Sims, age 45 of Storm Lake who was wanted out of Scott County, on warrants for Failure to Appear reference Driving While Barred and Failure to Appear reference Driving While Revoked.
Sims was arrested without incident and booked into the Buena Vista County Jail on a $2,423.75 cash bond.
Stolen coat lands SL man in jail
* On Saturday, Feb. 6, at approximately 2:35 a.m. the Storm Lake Police Department took a report at the Lake Avenue Lounge of a theft of a coat.
Police were provided information by witnesses of a subject who was reportedly seen leaving the bar with a large stuffed bag that may have possibly contained the stolen coat.
On Feb. 7, the suspect identified as Eric Simpson, age 37 of Storm Lake contacted police and advised them that someone had dropped the stolen coat off to him and he wanted to return it.
Following an investigation on Thursday, Feb. 11, at approximately 11:00 p.m. police arrested Simpson and charged him with Possession of Stolen Property. He was booked into the Buena Vista County Jail on a $300 cash bond.
Juvenile charged with assault after fight at M.S.
* On Thursday, Feb. 11, at approximately 2:45 p.m. the Storm Lake Police Department was dispatched to the Storm Lake Middle School in reference to an assault.
Upon arrival of police they met with school staff who reported that a 14 year old female of Storm Lake had allegedly physically assaulted another student. Reportedly the two students had a verbal disagreement which school staff intervened in. Following the intervention while the two students were walking to their next class the 14 year old female allegedly assaulted the girl she was arguing with.
Following an investigation police charged the 14 year old female with Simple Assault. She was processed and released to a parent.
No injuries were reported.
The case has been forwarded to the Juvenile Court Authority.
* On Thursday, Feb. 11, at approximately 12:04 p.m. the Storm Lake Fire Department was dispatched to the Hy-Vee Store located at 1250 North Lake Avenue in reference to an automated fire alarm.
Upon arrival of fire fighters it was determined that alarm technicians were testing the fire alarms and that no fire or hazard existed.
The fire department took no action.
The fire department was on scene for approximately 10 minutes and was assisted at the scene by the Storm Lake Police Department.