Iowa getting $9.5 million in green energy funds

Monday, September 28, 2009

WASHINGTON -- Iowa Sen. Tom Harkin has announced $9,593,500 from the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act is headed for the state to support energy efficiency and conservation programs.

The funds will be used for energy efficiency retrofits of existing buildings, transportation programs and installing renewable energy technologies on government buildings.

According to Harkin, the state is already a leader in clean energy production and energy efficiently. He adds the new funding will help further reduce energy costs in Iowa.

The money will be administered through the Iowa Office of Energy Independence for projects across the state. The state will pass along 60 percent of the funds to local governments that were not eligible for direct Energy Efficiency and Conservation Block Grants. The remaining 40 percent will be made available for competitive awards to cities and counties.

Respond to this story

Posting a comment requires free registration: