Fight leads to arrest of SL man, juvenile
* On Saturday, July 4, at approximately 1:10 a.m. the Storm Lake Police Department was dispatched to the area of West 7th Street and Ontario Street in reference to a fight in progress involving several subjects.
Upon arrival of police they learned that a fight had occurred at a residence located at 311 West 7th Street. Police located one subject hiding in the back yard and a second subject was located inside of the residence. Several other subjects who were reportedly involved in the alleged fight had fled the scene and people at the scene declined to cooperate with police officers in identifying the other involved parties.
Police arrested a 16-year-old male of Storm Lake and charged him with Disorderly Conduct and Possession of Alcohol by a Minor. He was processed and released to an adult sibling pending a court date.
Police also arrested Junior Xavier Romero-Irias, age 20 of Storm Lake and charged him with Disorderly Conduct and Public Intoxication. He was booked into the Buena Vista County Jail on a $300.00 cash bond.
Wanted subjects arrested
* On Sunday, July 5, at approximately 9:33 a.m. Storm Lake Police responded to 1607 Maple Street in reference to locate a wanted subject.
Upon arrival of police they located and arrested Robert Holmes Jr., age 42 of Storm Lake who was wanted for 2nd Degree Theft (class D felony). Holmes was booked into the county jail on a $5,000.00 cash bond.
* On Saturday, July 4, at approximately 6:55 p.m. a Storm Lake Police Officer while on patrol in the 1000 block of Ontario Street observed a wanted subject.
Police observed Jose Armondo Iraheta, age 38 of Storm Lake in the yard at 1002 Ontario Street. Police made contact with Iraheta who was wanted out of Buena Vista County for Contempt of Court, and arrested him without incident.
Iraheta was booked into the Buena Vista County Jail and held without bond.
* On Friday, July 3, at approximately 3:31 p.m. the Storm Lake Fire Department responded to Swope Hall on the campus of Buena Vista University in reference to an automated fire alarm.
Upon arrival of fire fighters it was determined that smoke from burnt food on the 3rd floor had activated the alarm. There was no fire and no damage.
The fire department was on scene for approximately 10 minutes and was assisted at the scene by the Storm Lake Police Department and BVU Security Department.
* On July 7, a burglary to a vehicle in the alley at 315 W. 5th Street in Storm Lake was reported. The total value of the items reported missing was estimated at $100.
* On July 6, a vandalism to the playground equipment at 1400 E. Lakeshore Drive in Storm Lake was reported. Damages were estimated at $250.
* On July 6, at approximately 12:28pm in the 700th block of Lake Avenue in Storm Lake, a vehicle driven by Mary Snedeker of Storm Lake was involved in an accident with another vehicle driven by Joan Lund of Newell. The two vehicles collided causing total damages estimated at $300. Lund was cited for Unsafe Turn.
Alta man arrested in Storm Lake after leaving children alone
* On Sunday, July 5, at approximately 2:14 a.m. the Storm Lake Police Department was advised by the Alta Police Department to be on the look out for a subject who was wanted in connection with a domestic situation in Alta that may be coming to Storm Lake.
Storm Lake Police were further advised that the suspect, identified as Cesar Garcia, age 32 of Storm Lake, may have left a three-and four-year-old child at the Family Time Business located at 1126 North Lake Avenue without parental supervision.
Storm Lake Police responded to Family Time and located the two small children sleeping alone inside of the business. They were unharmed.
Police further observed Garcia's vehicle enter the Hy-Vee parking lot where police made contact with Garcia.
Following an investigation Storm Lake Police arrested Garcia and charged him with OWI 3rd Offense, Driving While Barred, and 2 counts of Child Endangerment. Additional charges were filed by the Alta Police Department in connection with an incident which occurred in Alta. (Contact Alta Chief Mike McDonald for these charges.)
Police booked Garcia into the Buena Vista County Jail where he was held.
The two children were released to the custody of an adult.
The Iowa Department of Human Services was notified of the incident.
The Storm Lake Police Department was assisted by the Alta Police Department and Buena Vista County Sheriff's Department.
Police respond to woman screaming; Two
SL residents arrested
for Interference with Official Acts
* On Sunday, July 5, at approximately 2:50 a.m. the Storm Lake Police Department was dispatched to 1405 North Seneca Street #15 in reference to a report of woman screaming.
Upon arrival of police they attempted to make contact with the occupants of the apartment. The people inside of the apartment reportedly refused to open the door and allow police to check the well being of the occupants. After repeated requests to open the door and concern that someone may be in danger in the apartment police breached the door and entered the apartment.
The occupants denied that any type of physical confrontation had occurred and declined to cooperate with police.
Following an investigation police arrested Melvin Russell Jr., age 28 and Christina Brown, age 28 both of Storm Lake and charged them both with Interference With Official Acts. Both subjects were booked into the Buena Vista County Jail on a $300.00 cash bond each.
The Storm Lake Police Department was assisted at the scene by the Buena Vista County Sheriff's Department and the Alta Police Department.
SL man arrested for shoplifting at Wal-Mart
* On Tuesday, July 7, at approximately 1:28 p.m. the Storm Lake Police Department was dispatched to the Wal-Mart Store in reference to a reported shoplifter who was in custody and was reportedly intoxicated and belligerent.
Upon arrival of police they met with store staff and the suspect identified as Luis Alonso Bermudez, age 31 of Storm Lake. As police took Bermudez into custody he allegedly resisted officers and after a brief struggle was subdued.
Police charged Bermudez with Theft 5th Degree, Public Intoxication, and Interference With Official Acts. He was booked into the Buena Vista County Jail on a $300.00 cash bond.
Arkansas man arrested after fight at King's Pointe
* On Sunday, July 5, 2009 at approximately 1:49 a.m. the Storm Lake Police Department was notified of a fight which had occurred at the Kings Pointe Lodge which had been broken up.
Police were told that one of the subjects involved was walking in the 1300 block of East Lakeshore Drive.
Police responded and located Colton W. Smith, age 19 of Siloam Springs, Ark. walking on Lakeshore Drive. Police allege that Smith was one of the parties involved in the fight and he was arrested and charged with Disorderly Conduct and Public Intoxication. He was booked into the Buena Vista County Jail on a $300.00 cash bond.
The other party involved in the incident was not located.
SL man arrested after using false identity
* On Saturday, July 4, at approximately 11:35 p.m. a Storm Lake Police Officer stopped a vehicle in the 600 block of Lake Avenue for a traffic violation.
Upon contacting the driver he allegedly identified himself to police using false information. Police subsequently identified the driver as Frank Xavier Rolon, age 20 of Storm Lake.
Police arrested Rolon and charged him with Interference With Official Acts and Driving While License Suspended. He was booked into the Buena Vista County Jail on a $300.00 cash bond.
Domestic disturbance call lands SL man in jail on several Assault charges
* On Saturday, July 4, at approximately 8:09 p.m. the Storm Lake Police Department was dispatched to 134 Mae Street in reference to a domestic disturbance where a subject may be armed.
Upon arrival of police they observed two subjects in the front yard of the residence, one of which was bleeding from a head laceration. Police took both subjects into custody and then entered the residence where they encountered a large number of people. Police secured the scene after locating and seizing a 12 gauge shotgun.
An investigation alleges that Jorge Gonzalez-Romano, age 46 of Storm Lake engaged in an argument with his wife's relatives at the house. When his wife intervened he allegedly physically assaulted her. At that point Gonzalez-Romano stepped back and fell down the basement stairs causing cuts to his face. While in the basement he reportedly obtained a 12 gauge shotgun and activated the gun pumping action but did not fire the weapon. He then dropped the weapon and exited the residence through another door where he was apprehended by arriving police officers.
Gonzalez-Romano was treated at the scene by Buena Vista County Paramedics. He was then transported by police to the Buena Vista County Jail where he was charged by the Storm Lake Police Department with Domestic Abuse Assault While Displaying a Weapon (aggravated misdemeanor), Going Armed With Intent (class D felony), Assault While Displaying a Weapon (aggravated misdemeanor), and Felon in Possession of a Firearm (class D felony). He was booked into the Buena Vista County Jail on a $14,000.00 cash bond.
No other injuries were reported.
A second subject detained at the scene was released.
The Storm Lake Police Department was assisted at the scene by the Buena Vista County Paramedics.