Pride Day makes proud return to Newell
After a year without a major community celebration, Newell boosters are planning a rebirth of their traditional Pride Days event.
The event will be held Saturday, Aug. 1, and planning is in the final stages.
"People really missed not having it last year. It's good for the community, and we're going to go ahead with it as a one-day event for 2009, and try to just have a fun day for everyone who would like to join us," organizer Pat Murphy says.
* Activities get underway with a Walk-Run with registration around 7:30 a.m. at the City Park.
* A parade begins at 10 a.m., with lineup at 9:30 at the golf course driving range. Entries from anywhere in the area are encouraged, and anyone interested may contact Murphy at 299-2926, or Tina Beatty at 272-3093.
* A lunch in the park will be offered starting at noon, with pulled pork loin sandwiches heading the menu.
* The fire department will host a Kids' Waterfight on Main Street near the park at 1 p.m.
* A dodgeball tournament will begin at the tennis courts at 2 p.m.
* Enjoy free watermelon in the park, inflatable toys for children, and other events being planned, such as a closest putt tournament.
* A comedy show wraps up the event, beginning around 7 p.m., with multiple perfromers planned for a portable stage in the park.