The Storm Lake Fire Department was called to the Buena Vista County Hospital on Thursday, Oct. 5, at 11:30 p.m.
The fire department determined a smoke detector in an air handling duct on a rooftop heating and cooling unit in the radiology department had activated. The cause is suspected to be a malfunction in a humidifier which caused the heat ducts to fill with steam.
There was only slight water damage as a result of the steam. The fire department was on the scene for approximately one hour and was assisted by the Storm Lake Police Department and maintenance staff from the Buena Vista County Hospital.