AMVETS Post 66 of Storm Lake will be celebrating the 55th anniversary year of its organization June 2nd to June 8th. Nationally, the AMVETS was organized in October of 1945 and received its first federal charter signed by President Harry S. Truman in 1947.
The acronym AMVETS originally stood for American Veterans of World War II. This charter has been amended three times since. The first amendment was made to include Korean War Veterans and the second for the inclusion of Vietnam War Veterans. The last amendment was made to include anyone who is currently serving, or who has honorably served, in the Armed Forces of the United States-to include National Guard and Reserve components-at any time after Sept. 15, 1940. Post 66 would welcome anyone who is eligible to become a member.
AMVETS POST 66 received its charter in May of 1948. During the first years of its existence Post 66 meeting room was in the basement of what is now known as Lary's Tap.
In 1954 Post 66 purchased the present building located at 616 Michigan St.
Over the years Post 66 has been active in various activities. Some of these are scholarships, Veteran Hospital Fund, and the white clover project. Storm Lake Little League, Honor Guard, and many other activities have been assisted.
To celebrate, Post 66 will have many activities during the week of June 2 - 8.
While all activities have not been finalized, there will be a Polka Band playing June 8, from 6 p.m. to 10 p.m. Check the Pilot-Tribune next week for the AMVETS ad listing all of the activities.