The 3rd Cherokee Jazz Festival will be held rom January 9th through January 12th. The Festival has expanded to include musicians from New York City as well as Kansas City.
This year's featured artist from New York City will be Mark "The Loveman" Pender performing both trumpet and vocals. Pender is a regular on the Late, Late Show with Conan O'Brien and is the leader of the Mark Pender Band. Pender has toured and recorded with Diana Ross, Bruce Springsteen and has performed with David Bowie, Joe Cocker and Bon Jovi. Accompanying Pender will be Glenn Alexander performing on guitar and vocals. Alexander is a member of the Mark Pender Band and is the leader of L.A.X.
The Kansas City connection will include "Duke Elephant" featuring artists Tom DeMasters (guitar), Tim Perryman (trombone), Michael "Mo" Paul (mouth harp and vocals), Rick Huyett (bass), Harold Steinhardt (saxophone) and Joseph Shields (drums). Duke Elephant showcases the abilities of its members as songwriters, vocalists, and instrumentalists. Sometimes they improvise as they play R&B and Jazz with a rocking beat. Also to perform will be "A Touch of Class" featuring Donald Cox (piano), Ricky Anderson (bass), Alfred Pearson (trumpet), Willie Matthews (guitar), Horace Washington (saxophone), Pat Lyons-Cox (vocals), Samuel Johnson, Jr. (drums), Charles Perkins (saxophone), and Godfrey Powell (trumpet). A Touch of Class makes wonderful, easy to listen to music. They have recorded with Chess Records and have appeared in Las Vegas, Dallas and Kansas City.
The line up of events is to include:
Thursday, January 9, 2003
* Rehearsal (Open to the public, $3.00 admission) 8 PM. Washington High School Auditorium
Friday, January 10, 2003
* Music Clinic (for high school students) 11 AM, Washington High School.
* Cherokee Pub Crawl (for the general public) 8 PM to midnight, at The Brownstone, The Gasthaus, Jobies Pastime Lounge. (One-time cover charge of $5.00, covers all three venues)
Saturday, January 11, 2003
* Jam Session (for general public and especially for all musicians) 1 PM to 4:30 PM, The Brownstone ($5.00 cover charge)
* Kansas City, New York City, and Cherokee Connection Concert 6:30 PM to 8:30 PM (for the general public), Washington High School Auditorium. ($15.00 admission charge)
* Cherokee Pub Crawl (for general public) 9 PM to midnight, The Brownstone, Gasthaus, Jobies Pastime Lounge. (Cover charge of $5.00 covers all three venues)
Sunday, January 12, 2003
* Jazz Brunch (for the general public), Danny's On the Course ($11.00 charge for meal and music)
For more information call Cherokee Chamber 712-225-6414 or Cherokee Econ. Dev. 712-225-5739.