[Masthead] A Few Clouds ~ 43°F  
High: 62°F ~ Low: 45°F
Monday, May 2, 2016

Odebolt-Arthur knocks out Newell-Fonda

Thursday, February 28, 2002

Thies' 3-pointer with 3 seconds remaining sinks Mustangs, 68-65.

IDA GROVE - When Nick Thies found himself with the ball wide open in the closing seconds of a tie game, he figured he had nothing to lose.

If Thies shot the ball and missed, the worse that could happen would be overtime.

But what if he made it. It would set off bedlam.

Thies decided to attempt the shot from behind the 3-point arc, and were the Odebolt-Arthur faithful ever glad he did.

Thies sank a 3-pointer with 3 seconds remaining to give Odebolt-Arthur a 68-65 victory over Newell-Fonda in a Class 1A district semifinal game on Monday night at Ida Grove.

Odebolt-Arthur, now 18-4 overall, played top-ranked Pomeroy-Palmer (23-0) in a district final on Wednesday night in Pocahontas.

Newell-Fonda finished its season 18-5 overall.

The game was tied at 65-65 when Newell-Fonda missed two front ends of free throws in the final 26 seconds.

The Trojans got possession and worked the ball until Thies found himself open with the ball. He launched the game-winner for his only three points of the game.

Newell-Fonda, which led 38-32 at halftime, held a 43-36 lead in the third quarter when Jared Daniel made a basket.

Odebolt-Arthur used a 13-5 spurt over the rest of the period to take a 49-48 lead into the fourth quarter.

The fourth stanza featured five ties - the latest coming at 62-62. Jason Ripke put the Mustangs ahead 64-62 with a bucket before the Trojans' James Lindgren got a steal and a layup to tie the game at 64-all with 1:25 remaining. He was fouled and made the free throw for a 65-64 Trojan lead.

Daniel made a free throw to tie it at 65-65 seconds later.

Newell-Fonda jumped out to an 8-2 lead early in the first quarter behind six points from Eric Johnson. Odebolt-Arthur would counter with a 14-2 spurt to take a 16-10 lead.

Newell-Fonda tied it at 16-16 on a Kurt Olsen layup, but the Trojans held a 20-18 lead after the first quarter.

The game was tied at 32-32 with less than 2 minutes remaining in the first half when the Mustangs made a surge. Jared Daniel made a 3-point play of the old variety, and seconds later Austin Wells turned the same trick to give Newell-Fonda a 38-32 lead.

Odebolt-Arthur held the Mustangs scoreless for over 2 minutes of the third period to pull within 38-36 before the Mustangs reeled off five straight points for a 43-36 advantage.

Mark Currie scored 19 points to lead Odebolt-Arthur. Lindgren had 18 and Mike Siebrecht added 15.

Daniel led the Mustangs with 14 points. Matt Stauter added 11, Ripke 10 and Johnson nine.

Free throw shooting hurt Newell-Fonda. The Mustangs were just 2-for-8 in the second half and 7-for-16 for the game. Odebolt-Arthur was 16-for-26.

Galva-Holstein 72

Remsen-Union 39

Chad Hustedt and Mike Modrell scored 13 points apiece, and Matt Egger and Lucas Schossow each added 12 as Galva-Holstein routed Remsen-Union in a Class 1A district semifinal game Monday night at Sergeant Bluff.

Galva-Holstein, now 20-3 overall, played Hinton (17-5) in a district final game Wednesday night at Sergeant Bluff.

Galva-Holstein led 19-6 after the first quarter, 34-10 at the half, and 53-18 heading into the fourth period.

Respond to this story

Posting a comment requires free registration: