The Pilot-Tribune's Adopt-A-Family campaign in Storm Lake has seen 170 families already chosen to receive a personalized packages to brighten their Christmas, but 24 needy families remain on the list as holiday "crunch time" nears.
"We appreciate all of the people who have stepped forward to do something special for the needy this holiday. It really shows Storm Lake's heart," said Pilot-Tribune Editor Dana Larsen. "We would hope that there is enough generosity left to cover these final few families, because everyone deserves a Christmas."
"The small families with the babies and small children always get chosen first. What we see left are often the big families, the ones with older children who are perhaps not so easy for a family or a small group to serve. But for these poor people, there won't be a Christmas if we don't get the calls," added Joan Spooner of Upper Des Moines Opportunity. "We also have some people added to the list at the last moment - these are families that may have just arrived in the Storm Lake area, or those where some crisis has suddenly happened that left them especially needy now."
Individuals, families, classes, churches, clubs, businesses and others are invited to adopt a needy Buena Vista County family to provide a special package for a holiday meal they otherwise might not be able to have. Many people also include small gifts, gift certificates or personal items.
Call 732-1757 to make an adoption from the following coded list. The time to call is now - packages are to be delivered by December 18, for families to pick up on December 20 and 21.Our operators will be able to provide more information on the families and how to participate:
121. mom dad, girl 1, boy 2, boy 7, boy 8
128. mom and dad, boy 2
136. mom and dad, girl six months
139. single mom, boy 8, boy 10, boy 14, boy 17.
142. mom and dad, boy 9, girl 13, girl 16, boy 5.
152 mom and dad, girl 1.
154. mom and dad, boy seven months, boy 2, boy 4.
157. mom and dad, boy 9, boy 5, girl 3.
161. mom and dad, boy 13, boy 9, girl 17, girl 18, girl 16
163. mom and dad, boy six months, boy 3, girl 5, girl 9.
164. grandpa and grandma, mom and dad, boy 1.
170. mom and a dad, boy 2, girl 5, boy 10.
173. mom and dad, girl 13, girl 14, boy 15, boy 18, boy 16, boy 17.
175. mom and dad, boy 2, girl 4, girl 5, girl 9.
177. mom and dad, girl 4 months, girl 6, boy 11.
180. single mom, boy 9, girl 3.
181. mom and dad, boy eight months.
186. mom and dad, boy 10, girl 11, boy 16.
187. elderly woman
188. single mom, girl 4, boy 5, girl 8.
190. mom and dad, boy seven months.
191. single mom, boy 13.
192. mom and dad, girl 2.
194. mom and dad, girl 4, boy 6, girl 7.