The Storm Lake Chamber of Commerce Board of Directors is soliciting ideas for using the funds received from the RAGBRAI effort last summer.
According to Chris Nolte, Chamber CEO, the most suggested recipient was Santa's Castle. He said, "I would guess we had 8 to 10 people contact us with the suggestion that Santa's Castle restoration would be a worthy recipient."
He also said suggestions were received for:
1. "Becoming a Love and Logic Parent" program through Comm"UNITY" Education. Their request is in the amount of $1,000 to help fund this program that gives new Iowans the tools they need to raise their children in a different culture.
2. Seed money for a new "big time" playground in one of the parks.
3. Funding Witter Gallery, Comm"UNITY" Ed, Storm Lake Arts Council or Storm Lake Public Library.
4. Matching funds for a Community Mural Project with Witter and the Arts Council.
5. City Beautiful Garden Project - $5,000 requested to begin the process of cleaning up the property adjacent to the railroad tracks.
6. Second floor beautification in the Central Business District - suggested to paint international flags on boards and place them in vacant windows.
7. A Disc Golf Course. (Note - a "world champion" player has family in Sioux Rapids.)
8. Seed money for a skateboarding/trick bike park.
9. Renovation of Christmas lights and decorations.
10. Assistance in Leadership Classes for new residents.
Tim Rebnord, Chamber President said, "We are very pleased to receive such diverse collection of suggestions. We would now like the public to respond to these suggestions so the board has some clear direction as to how these funds should be disbursed."
Respond to the Chamber at email@example.com, or mail to PO Box 584, Storm Lake. Rebnord said the fund totals about $13,000 and the Board hopes to make their decision at their meeting October 19.