The annual Family Night at the Storm Lake Middle School is planned for Friday. Sponsored by SLMS, CommUNITY Education, Buena Vista Regional Medical Center and Iowa State Extension, the mission is to have the middle school students share with their families the school and some of the things they do there.
The event is set for 5:30-7:30 p.m. and will include projects, performances and displays.
Free hot dogs, chips and drinks will be served.
Check out these activities going on throughout the school:
* Gym (Come and go): BVRMC Fitness & Health Center Obstacle Course - various exercise options to show how you can stay active; CommUNITY Ed Dodge Ball - 12 participates at a time will enjoy the excitement of a quick game of Dodge Ball
* Media Center (6-7 p.m.): Cyber Safety
* Room 221 (5:30-6:10-6:40) - Jamie Grieme, BVRMC Registered Dietician. "Portion Distortion" - Compare food portions eaten 20 years ago to today's serving size. Shows difference to burn extra calories consumed today.
* Room 424 (6:00 and 6:45): Portrait Drawing - do a step-by-step pastel portrait with Mrs. Paten, the Middle School art teacher.
* Band Room (5:30-6:10-6:40): Puppet Show - "Fruit Stand" School Nurses Sandy Wells and Twyla Kleen will present a puppet show related to nutrition.
* Choir Room (5:30-6:10-6:40): Gang Information - School Resource Officer John Bauer will give parents information on what to look for if you suspect your child is involved in a gang
Hallway Displays (by gym):
* Healthy snack recipes
* Family Nutrition Program (ISU Extension): This program is FREE to families with children ages 0-10 years and who are eligible for free/reduced lunches. Hear how to participate in seven lessons offering nutrition and physical activity tips and ways you can help your family make healthier choices.
* Sugar Test Tube Display (Pat Grotjohn, BVRMC): Registered Dietician - shows how easy it is to eat excess calories with high sugar food choices. Portion control is key.
* BMI (Body Mass Index): SLIM - Storm Lake In Motion
* CommUNITY Ed Booths: mentoring, cyber safety, summer recreation sign-ups, etc
5th Grade Area:
* Rooms 101 and 105: Social studies and science
Social Studies will display explorer quilts and middle colonies geography posters. Science will have Landform posters on display.
* Room 103 Math Games: Learn fun math games to play at home!
* Room 104 Book Swap: Adult and student book swap - bring a book that you have read from home and swap it for a different book. Books need to be here before March 6.
* Room 102 Public Library Card Sign Up: Representatives from the Public Library will be present.
6th Grade Area:
* Room 108: Energy Bingo - Come play Bingo and show what you have learned about energy in science class this year. Games will be held at 5:30, 6, 6:30 and 7. Prizes!
* Room 113: Jeopardy (5:30-6:10 and 6:45) - Do you want a 100 point question? 200? How about 500? Play against your parents and see who wins! Games begin at 5:30, 6, 6:30 and 7.
* Room 112: Tanagrams - Can you put geometrical shapes together to form a picture? Parents are invited to work at a "come and go" session with their child to solve tanagram puzzles.
7th Grade Area:
* Room 213: (5:30-6 -6:30-7): Readers' Theater - 7th students will present readers' theaters
* Rooms 301 and 302: Doodle Splashes and Weather Pamphlets - 7th grade language arts teachers will display their latest book projects as well as the nonfiction extreme weather pamphlets they have created.
* Room 211 (5:30 and 6:10): Prairie Habitat Presentation - Students will share information on Iowa's prairie habitat. Learn about prairie diversity and why it's important to save the prairie.
* Rooms 303 (6:10 and 6:50): Skits on Daily Life in Africa - Students will role-play life in various African countries to provide a glimpse of what daily life is like in these countries.
* 7th Hallway (Come and go): Student drawings of cells
* Rooms 304 (ISU Extension 5:30-6-6:30-7): Spend Smart...Eat Smart - what to look for at the grocery store to stretch your food dollar. Learn how to figure your food dollar estimate.
8th Grade Area:
* Rooms 309, 310 and 312 (Come and go): Jeopardy - Together parents and students play the popular game where the answer is a question
* Room 311 (Come and go): Book Pizzas and Book-in-a-Bag - see what 8th graders are reading by viewing these projects.
* 8th Hallway (Come and go): iMovies - See Newcomers display of Chinese New Year and also iMovies made by the 8th grade.
* Room 218 (Schedule posted on door): History Day Demonstrations
* Room 309 (5:30-6:10-6:40): Everyone is welcome to exercise for free.