[Masthead] Fog/Mist ~ 27°F  
Feels like: 19°F
Wednesday, Dec. 24, 2014

5 children hospitalized by carbon monoxide

Tuesday, February 3, 2009

FORT DODGE - Officials say a faulty furnace at a hotel in Fort Dodge put five children in the hospital with carbon monoxide poisoning.

The children were in the swimming pool at the Travel Inn on Saturday evening when they began to feel lethargic and dizzy. A call reporting an unresponsive child was made at about 6:30 p.m.

A strong odor throughout the building led authorities to believe the culprit was chlorine poisoning. But Assistant Fort Dodge Fire Captain Steve Hergenreter says tests discovered levels of carbon monoxide more than 14 times the safe level.

The children were taken to the hospital where excessive levels of carbon monoxide were found in their blood. Their names and conditions were not released.



Respond to this story

Posting a comment requires free registration. If you already have an account on this site, enter your username and password below. Otherwise, click here to register.

Username:

Password:  (Forgot your password?)

Your comments:
Please be respectful of others and try to stay on topic.