To help celebrate and commemorate the 50 years anniversary of the Buena Vista county Conservation Board, a coffee will be held on Monday, Dec. 15 from 1 to 4 p.m. in the lobby of the Buena Vista County Courthouse in Storm Lake.
Since its inception in Dec. 1958 and first 80 acre purchase in 1960, land managed by the Conservation Board has grown to 16 areas totaling 1,144.67 acres. The Conservation Board strives to provide a broad range of recreation for the public including hunting, trapping, fishing, camping, hiking, picnicking, bird watching, winter activities and the enjoyment of the great outdoors and promotes land conservation, water quality protection and improvement of wildlife habitat.
An active environmental education program by the naturalist concentrates its efforts to the education of children throughout schools in the county.
In the general election on Nov. 4, 1958, Buena Vista County residents voted their approval for the formation of the Buena Vista County Conservation Board. During their Dec. 2, 1958 meeting, the Board of Supervisors selected a representative from each county district to serve on the first Conservation Board as follows:
E.G. Bailey, Marathon - 1 year term
Harold Halverson, Alta - 2 year term
E.W. Schreiber, Alta - 3 year term
George Roberts, Albert City - 4 year term
Henry W. Meyer, Storm Lake - 5 year term
Since the formation of the fist board, members are selected for a five year term.
Past members, other than the original board selected include: R. C. Kleaveland, Harry Dyvad, Russell Neville, Arlan Bargloff, Jim Roberts, Rick Lampe, Margaret Koch, Lee Meyer and Dwayne Kay.
Current board members are Arnie Hicks of Linn Grove, Tony Bodholdt of Newell, Rick Meyer of Alta, Roger Meyer of Storm Lake and Mark Kirkholm of Storm Lake.
The first official meeting of the Buena Vista County Conservation Board was held Dec. 12, 1958.