You are invited to help "Pack the Track" at the annual Buena Vista County Relay for Life to begin at 5 p.m. Saturday and continue through 6 a.m. Sunday at the Storm Lake High School track.
Co-chair Kelly Wolleson said teams will have the opportunity to spend all night walking for those loved ones who have faced cancer and of course to share memories. Even if you are not a team, you are invited to come on out and participate in the event and help raise money to find a cure for cancer.
Last year the event raised $55,000 for the American Cancer Society. The committee members are hoping to beat that total at this year's event.
Relay for Life Schedule
* 5 p.m. - Opening ceremonies
* 5-7 p.m. - Turkey fillet dinner - free will offering
* 7 p.m. - Survivor lap
* 7:30 p.m. - Team lap
* Dusk - Luminary ceremony followed by lap of silence
* 6 a.m. Sunday - Closing ceremonies
* 5:30-6:30 p.m. - Acoustic guitar music by Josh Nielsen
* 7:30 p.m. - Accordion music by Norm Hogrefe
* 8 p.m. - St. Mary's Drill Team performs
* Possibly Scottish bagpiping by Archie MacKay
* 8:30-9:30 p.m. (and resuming after the luminary ceremony) Starz Entertainment Karaoke
On site activities
* Storm Lake Music Boosters Concession Stand
ª Storm Lake Kiwanis serving popcorn
* Face painting by Jose Hernandez
* Children's activities
* Games on the greens - tug of war, volleyball, dodge ball, limbo dance contest
The planning group for Relay for Life consists of about 15 people who have been working hard to organize this event.
Luminaries are available and can be purchased prior to the event by contacting Kelly Wolleson at 299-0982 or the day of the event. Cost for each luminary is $5 each this year, as compared to the $10 cost in the years past. It is hoped with the price reduced more luminaries will be purchased, glowing as a reminder of friends and loved ones who have succumbed to cancer, and that the luminaries will also "pack the track."
What is Relay for Life?
the American Cancer Society Relay for Life represents the hope that those lost to cancer will never be forgoetten, that those who face cancer will be supported, and that one day, cancer will be eliminated.
Last year more than three million people in more than 4,400 communitieis nationwiude came together through Relay for Life, a celebration of life and cancer survivorship.
* Relay For Life is a unique team event designed to raise awareness about cancer and raise funds.