Last Sunday, Storm Lake Police were alerted to a racial conflict that had happened at the Field of Dreams Complex on West 10th Street late Saturday night.
Police were told that several subjects had been engaged in an ongoing feud over their respective nationalities of Mexican and El Salvadorian. After investigating, police allege the group met at the Field of Dream for a fight. During the incident, one subject allegedly displayed a knife and chain. The two factions summoned help from friends and a large group of others arrived and became involved in the fight. Police believe that 20 or more people were involved.
Police learned that several people involved in the fight sustained minor injuries but did not seek medical treatment.
Monday at approximately noon, police took a second report of a second fight which had occurred at the Field of Dreams Complex early Sunday morning.
Police had not been called at the time of either the Saturday night or Sunday afternoon fighting, and were not aware of the incidents prior to the citizen reports.
Police were told that the second fight was connected to the Saturday night fight and that some spectators arriving at the complex on Sunday to watch soccer games became involved in the fight.
Again minor injuries were reported but no medical treatment was sought. Once again on Sunday the police were not notified at the time of the second fight.
Based on information gathered and statements secured Storm Lake Police have arrested and charged the following persons.
* Ricardo Murillo, age 16 of Storm Lake was charged with Rioting (aggravated misdemeanor) and Assault While Displaying a Weapon (aggravated misdemeanor). He was transported to the Youth Detention Facility and held pending a court date.
* Andres Espana, age 19 of Storm Lake, Charged with Rioting and booked into the Buena Vista County Jail on a $2,000.00 cash bond
* Henry Castro, age 21 of Storm Lake, Charged with Rioting and Simple Assault, Bond $2,000
* Cesar Zeladon-Ramirez, age 31 of Storm Lake, Charged with Assault Causing Injury, bond $1,000.00
* The following juveniles were arrested and charged with Rioting. They were processed and released to school officials after their parent/guardian was notified.
Luis Tula, age 14 of Storm Lake
William Duenas, age 17 of Storm Lake
Rolando Castillo, age 17 of Storm Lake
Luis Jovel, age 16 of Storm Lake
* Ketzel Zeladon, age 16 of Storm Lake was charged with Rioting, Assault and Disorderly Conduct. He too was released to school officials.
* The following adults were arrested and charged with Rioting. They were booked into the county jail on a $2,000 cash bond.
Christian Ramirez, age 18 of Storm Lake
Dora Castillo, age 41 of Storm Lake
Sandra Castillo, age 20 of Storm Lake
Robert Rolon, age 18 of Storm Lake
Manuel Antonio Jovel-Bermudes, age 20 of Storm Lake
Edgar Gonzalez, age 18 of Storm Lake
The incidents remain under investigation and additional arrests are possible.