The 72nd Annual Convention & Trade Show of the Iowa Meat Processors Association was held at the Gateway Hotel and Conference Center and the ISU Meat Laboratory in Ames, on Feb. 14-17. Processors from 48 plants and vendors in 41 booths were in attendance fo the training sessions and the Trade show.
The Conference participants attended seminars on a variety of processing techniques used on beef, pork fabrication of speciality of speciality cuts from the chuck and sausage techniques at the ISU Meat Lab under the direction of Meat Extension Specialist, Dr. Joe Cordray and other staff members from Iowa State University.Dr. Cordray was in charge of the Iowa Cured Meats Competition and the "Best of the Midwest" with entries from Iowa, Nebraska, Kansas and Missouri held on Saturday. There were 400 entries of processed meats in twenty classes of the competition. THe "Best of the Midwest" competition was based on four classes and all entries were evaluated by judges from Iowa State University.
John and Shelly Tiefenthaler, owners of Food Locker Service, Inc. Holstein, received the following awards
* Grand Champion, Bone-in-Ham
* Champion, Bacon
* Grand Champion, Canadian Bacon
* Reserve grand Champion, Center Cut Smoked Pork Loin
* Reserve Grand Champion, Dried Beef
* Reserve Champion, Large Diameter Luncheon Meat
* Champion, Frankfurters/Wieners
* Reserve Grand Champion, Innovative Beef Product (Pizza patties)
* Grand Champion, Innovative Pork Products (Barbecue Flavored Cocktail Wieners)
* Reserve Grand Champion, Small Diameter Smoked and Cooked Sausage in the Best of the Midwest competition.