The Alta High School will be sending 11 of 14 speech groups to the state contests which will be held Saturday at East High School in Sioux City.
These 10 groups received top ratings at the district contests held in Storm Lake Jan. 19; two other groups received second place ratings and will not move on.
Competing will be:
* Reader's Theatre - "Three Little Pigs" - Participants: Ashley Damewood, Chris Bengtson, Christian Weiland, Courtney Van Haaften, Emily Grieme, Emily Maharry, Gabe Walsh, Haley Payne, Hannah Glienke, Hillary Glienke, Katie Garrison, Kaylee Strock, Luke Arnts, Nathan Corlew, Ryan Friedrich.
* Group Improvisation - Participants: Chris Bengtson, Christian Weiland, Gabe Walsh, Meagan Phipps
* Group Mime - "Amusement Park Problems" - Participants: Courtney Van Haaften, Jordan Henningsen, Lesa Turnquist.
* One-Act Play - "Check, Please" - Participants: Aaron Hansen, Allison Glienke, Alyssa Engelke, Andrew Allerdings, Anne Curbow, Brooke Garrison, Chris Schmitz, Christine Sand, Jon Lietz, Jordan Hinkeldey, Kayla Nickolisen, Kelsey Barker, Lindsey Strock, Quentin Thomas, Scott Radke, Tim Gregg, Tyler Fulkerth.
* Reader's Theatre - "Understanding Your Parents" - Participants: Amy Rehnstrom, Ariel Turnquist, Austin Stille, Brittany Aronson, Holly Hinkeldey, Jeremy Lambert, Jessy Bibler, Jon Lietz, Jordin Danielson, Kolbie Boom, Mike Huseman, Mirah Busby, Pedro Perez, Stephanie Peterson, Zach Ploeger.
* Choral Reading - "Battle of the Sexes" - Participants: Bekka Weber, Ben Rosenthal, Bridget Murillo, Brittany Corlew, Chelsea Brugman, Chelsey Petersen, Cody Nesbitt, Hannah Fordyce, Jack Mills, Jaimie Stevicks, Jared Buckendahl, Jenna Harms, Kathleen Arnts, Nicole Connolly, Robert Maharry.
* Radio Broadcasting - Participants: Anne Curbow, Brady Randall, Hannah Fordyce, Jared Buckendahl, Robert Maharry, Sarah Baxter, Schuyler Radke, Scott Radke, Bridget Murillo.
* Group Improvisation - Participants: Ben Rosenthal, Chelsey Petersen, Cody Nesbitt
* Group Improvisation - Participants: Adam Parcel, Mike Schroeder, Sarah Baxter
* Group Mime - "Pie Baking Contest" - Participants:Kily Meyers, Lindesy Peterson
* Group Mime - "Open Heart Problems" - Participants: Collean Smith, Shelby Meyer.
Speech groups that participated and received the second place rating included:
* Group Improvisation - Participants: Brody Lichtenberg, Doug Bonnesen, Rebecca Wetherell
* Ensemble Acting - Participants: Gaby Perez, Jadelyn Pender, Nikole Sivinski
* Ensemble Acting - "Early Frost" - Participants: Allison Glienke, Brooke Garrison, Christine Sand, Jenna Harms.
Brad Nesbitt is the speech coach. He is being assisted by Laurie Miller and Derek Radke.