A record 16 out of 19 Large Group Speech teams from Storm Lake High School have earned spots at the state contest to be held Saturday at East High School in Sioux City.
The speech teams received top ratings at the district contests held at Storm Lake High School on Jan. 19.
These are the teams that will go on:
* Ensemble Acting - "The Nerd" - Participants - Spencer Darrow, Jacob Lyon, Tyler Reinert
* Musical Theatre - "Urinetown" - Participants - Clare Cullen, Marjie Halverson, Jacob Lyon, Keaton Murphy, Sally Stark
* Group Improv #1 - Participants - Peter Douglas, Thomas Patton, Jace Piercy, Casey Schultz
* Radio News - Participants - Julie Cantrell-Paulson, Jamie Cords, Nyajuok Deng, Priscilla Rebollozo, Makenzie Rhode, Stacey Stark, Tyler Zylstra
* Ensemble Acting - "The Role of Della" - Participants - Mara Cantrell-Paulson, Katie Demers, Marjie Halverson
* Musical Theatre - "Music Man" - Participants - Cindy Barahona, Coy Clark, Katie Matasovsky, Nick McDonald, Shelby O'Bannon
* Group Improv #2 - Participants - Spencer Darrow, Amanda Proczak, Amber Woodford
* Readers Theatre - "Rapunzel Uncut" - Participants - Cindy Barahona, Kenneth Claypool, Amber Cords, Jacie Dahlstrom, Coy Clark, Blake Hartmen, Fern Kohl, Abby Smith, Sally Stark
* Ensemble Acting - "The Foreigner" - Participants - Dylan Freking, Darren Johnson, Chris Reis, Katy Shevel
* Musical Theatre - "How to Succeed in Business" - Participants - Annie Brophy, Nate Converse, Kristi Davis, Steph Emery, Tyler Grant, Kayla Vetter
* Group Improv #3 - Participants - Nolan Cone, Nate Converse, Nick McDonald, Michael McCabe
* Group Mime - "LOL Ninjas" - Participants - Jackie Donkhong, Alex Phanthavong
* Choral Reading - "Java Jive" - Participants - Amanda Ballou, Jenna Bowman, Annie Brophy, Jacie Dahlstrom, Tim Dahlstrom, Dylan Freking, Tyler Grant, Lauren Hall, Blake Luy, Keaton Murphy, Shelby O'Bannon, Tyler Reinert, Kelly Smith, Raymundo Villarreal
* Solo Mime - "One Bullet" - Participant - Jackie Donkhong
* Solo Mime - "Ice Fishing Follies" - Participant - Chris Reis
* Solo Mime - "Last Chance" - Participant - Alex Phanthavong
Speech teams working equally as hard that received second place ratings were:
* TV News - Participants - Amanda Helmbrecht, Darren Johnson, Kurt Kohl, Morgan Rauch, Priscilla Rebollozo, Collin Schultz, Erick Stephas, Audrey Wells
* Group Mime - "Kindergarten Mess Up" - Participants - Amanda Ballou, Jamie Cords
* Group Mime - Participants - Donny Halverson, Evan Stevenson
"Preparing for a performance and competition involves more than memorizing lines and blocking," commented Cindy Cone, speech coach. "As a member of the SLHS speech team, our students are learning and applying lifetime skills. Self-confidence, self-awareness, initiative, responsibility, dedication, leadership, creative thinking, problem solving, goal setting, time management, group dynamics and group decision making are some of the life skills students learn by being part of speech."
Cone and Glee Crippin, who also serves as a coach for the speech department, thank everyone for "supporting and encouraging" the speech students. "It is because of your enthusiasm that SLHS speech thrives!" they said.