Members of the All Saints Episcopal Church of Storm Lake have been celebrating their faith for the past 50 years; and that calls for a grand celebration.
The Right Reverand Alan Scarfe, Episcopal Bishop of Iowa will be part of a special service Sunday at 4 p.m.
The membership of the church is small - about 50 - but the members are dedicated and are proud of all that has been accomplished over the past years.
The church has been in three locations over the years. In 1955 a small group began meeting in the "little theatre" at Buena Vista College. Soon the meeting place changed to Witter Memorial Chapel and even in private homes. Eventually a quonset hut, WW II surplus, from England was obtained, coming to SL wrapped in cardboard. The aluminum church was erected in 1956.
In 1986, Bill Perry donated land at the present site. Parishioners put much "sweat equity" into the project.
Episcopal Churches in Cherokee and Sac City had closed their doors due to lack of members and funds over the 30 years that SL's church continued on. When a new church was conceived, it was decided to bring a little bit of all those churches together.
A group of women refinished the combined blessings of donated pews, doors and other elements from the other churches. "We have had 50 good years of continual service in Storm Lake," commented member Jan Germann.