What is a dragon boat? Many members of the 2006 Star Spangled Spectacular board wondered that when it was learned the dragon boat team from Fort Dodge would give a demonstration of its skill during this year's celebration.
As many of the events, both old and new, were being discussed at an organizational meeting late this week, board member Dick Hakes said the dragon boat team would appear in Storm Lake from 1 to 3 p.m. Tuesday, July 4. He said the dragon boat is essentially a 44 foot canoe with a colorful dragon head on the bow.
"There are 24 people who paddle it and one man in the back who steers," he explained.
Hakes described dragon boat races as being short and fast. He said the boats, which weigh several tons, take a lot of energy to row and the teams are usually exhausted after a short trip. He believes during the demonstration, on-lookers will get the chance to paddle the boat and children will be given rides.
This was the second to last meeting of the Star Spangled Spectacular board.
It was the meeting where the last details are formed before the event, Commodore John Keenan said. The final meeting on June 21 will serve as a last checkoff, he said.
In addition to the dragon boats, there will be other new features. There will be four inflatable toys four children in various sections of the celebration, plus, Keenan said, a new business in town plans to set up two inflatable jump houses.
Hakes, who is in charge of fundraising, said the group has collected $6,000 after one week of soliciting. he says it may be hard this year to reach the board's $22,000 goal to aid in putting on the event.
It is now confirmed there will be at least one trolley giving rides through Storm Lake during the Star Spangled Spectacular. Board members are hoping to get a second one.
The 2006 Spectacular schedule:
Monday, July 3
* 5 p.m. Classic Car Parade line-up at Merrill Manufacturing
* Food vendors in Sunset Park
* 5:45 p.m. Classic Car Parade
* Kiddie parade Line-up at Sunset Park
* 6 p.m. Kiddie Parade begins at Sunset Park
* 6:30 p.m. Ice Cream Social
* Storm Lake High School Jazz Band
* Classic Car Show in Sunset Park
* 7-11 p.m. On the Fritz band
Tuesday, July 4
* 7:30 a.m. Ride/Run
* 10 a.m. -5 p.m. Artists' Alley
* 10:30 a.m. Big Parade starts
* Noon (approx.)- Patriotic Ceremony - Buddy Monument
* Noon - 5 p.m. Inflatable
* 1-3 p.m. Children's Art Fair - Shelter House
* Dusk - fireworks
* 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Artists' Alley
* Noon - Storm Lake Municipal Band
* Noon-5 p.m. Inflatables (bungee run and Gladiator joust)
* 1-4:30 p.m. Monkey's Uncle concert
Chautauqua Park Tennis Courts
* Noon-5 p.m. Inflatable (giant slide and Seaweed the Sea Monster)
* Noon-5:30 p.m. Kiddie Train
* 1 p.m. Deborah's School of Dance
* 1:30 p.m. Maryoke
* 2 p.m. "State Fair" (Buena Vista Community Theatre presents scenes from the musical)
* 2:30 p.m. Maryoke
* 4 p.m. Ritmo Latino band
Chautauqua Park Shelter House
* 1 p.m. Larry Myer
* 1-3 p.m. Children's Art Fair
* 3 p.m. Larry Myer
Chautauqua Park Jetty
* 1-3 p.m. Dragon Boat Demo
* Dusk - fireworks
* WOZ (Clowning, stunt-filled songs, juggling show for families)