Shortly after 3:15 p.m. Saturday, the Storm Lake Fire Department was called to an apartment complex at 401 Cayuga Street for a report of a fire alarm activated in the building and the smell of smoke.
Firefighters located an odor of smoke in the hallway on the first floor. The building was evacuated and all the apartments in the complex were checked. Firefighters located an apartment on the first floor where some food had overcooked on a stove top, setting off the alarm system.
When fire personnel determined the building to be safe, the occupants were allowed to go back in. There were no injuries or damage reported.
The fire department remained on the scene for approximately 45 minutes.