Storm Lake High School large group speech students competed at the state level Feb. 4 at Spencer. For the first time since SLHS has had large group speech (1988-89), all groups earned an overall "I" rating at the state level. Each event is judged by three judges. Three groups were selected to go on to perform at the All-State Festival to be held this Saturday in Ames.
The three All-State participants are:
* Choral reading entitled "Censored," with participants Jacie Dahlstrom, Morgan Darrow, Spencer Darrow, Kristi Davis, Cody Fitzpatrick, Lauren Hall, Katie Hott, Maddie Kies, Morgan Rauch, Chris Reis, Justine Scarbrough, Katie Shevel, Kelly Smith and Kim Thayer.
* Solo mime by Ross Schultz
* Group improv with Ashley Wolf, Ross Schultz and Casey Schultz.
Other groups performing at state and their ratings are:
* Ensemble acting entitled "Mixed Nuts" by Donaghue and Manera performed by Clare Cullen, Jacob Lyon, Cat Robinson, Juvenal Soria. Rating: three ones.
* Musical theatre entitled "Cinderella" performed by Kayla Christ, Emily Gutz, Kayla Shadlow. Rating: two ones and a two.
* Musical Theatre entitled, "Manly Men" performed by Nick Crippin, Jake Laursen and Eric Sievers. Rating: three ones.
* Musical Theatre entitled, Guys and Dolls" performed by Jacob Lyon, Jeff Mason and Juvenal Soria. Rating: three ones.
These groups and others will perform at the Speech Showcase on Feb. 20 from 7-9 p.m. at South Auditorium. The public is welcome and the event is FREE!