The Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Dubuque said in a report that 20 lawsuits alleging sexual abuse of children have been filed in recent months involving eight priests.
The annual report, dated Jan. 4, said lawsuits have been filed in recent months against the archdiocese in connection with the Revs. Albert Carman, Albert Forster, William Goltz, Patrick McElliott, John Peters, William Roach, John Schmitz and William Schwartz, the report said.
Carman, Forster, McElliott, Peters, Roach and Schmitz are dead.
Goltz, 80, who had several allegations of abuse lodged against him is prohibited by the Vatican from celebrating Mass or administering sacraments publicly and from wearing clerical garb. He was named in three lawsuits filed last year.
Schwartz, 73, had several complaints of abuse alleged by boys. The archdiocese settled a lawsuit naming Schwartz in 2004 for $100,000. Three others were filed last year. Schwartz, who is retired and living in Arizona, was defrocked by Pope Benedict XVI in December.
Schmitt's activities were restricted by church officials in 2002. DeVenney, 42, was sentenced to 10 years in prison.