Another fantasy epic is proving a blockbuster. Disney's "The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe" adapted from C.S. Lewis' tale debuted in Storm Lake and nationally as the weekend's top movie.
The story filled with talking animals and inspiring battles, is enchanting even the critics. Set in England during World War II, the four Pevensie siblings - Lucy, Edmund, Susan and Peter - are separated from their parents and taken to a country home. When the youngest peeks into a magic wardrobe, she finds a passage to the fantasy land of Narnia. Together, the children seek out the noble lion king, Aslan, and join his fight to free the creatures of Narnia from the eternal winter of the evil White Witch.
Watch for some awesome minotaurs!
C.S. Lewis was a close friend of 'Lord of the Rings' author J.R.R. Tolkien, and they belonged to a writer's group called the Inklings, so it is no surprise that the movie is being compared to the "Rings' films, although better suited for families with younger children. By the way, this is one a series of seven books, so expect more to follow.
"King Kong" is expected to be a box office hit when it debuts Wednesday. Other films hitting the screen include:
* Aeon Flux - Charlize Theron is a sexy super-assassin in a totalitarian future world.
* Memoirs of a Geisha - The long-awaited adaptation of the bestselling novel. (Dec 23)
* Rumor Has It... - Jennifer Aniston learns her grandmother had a bit of a fling with Kevin Costner's character. (Dec 25)
* Fun with Dick & Jane - Dick (Jim Carrey) gets fired, so he and Jane turn to crime. (Dec 21)
* The Ringer - Johnny Knoxville tries to fix the Special Olympics and painful hilarity ensues. (Dec 23)
* Cheaper by the Dozen 2 - Steve Martin's big family meets their match. (Dec 21)
* The Family Stone - Sarah Jessica Parker gets to know her boyfriend's nutty family. (Dec 16)
* The Producers - Mel Brooks' Tony winning musical gets the big screen treatment. (Dec 16)
* Munich - Steven Spielberg directs this true story of terrorism and vengeance. (Dec 23)