Tension has been rising for last few weeks
A dozen suspects were jailed on rioting and other charges after a brutal gang-related clash early Sunday morning in Storm Lake that left two people injured after being struck with blunt objects, a Storm Lake Police officer slightly hurt in a foot chase, and caused a trail of damage to cars and homes in two areas of the city.
Police Chief Mark Prosser said Monday that more arrests are likely."The neighbors to where this incident occurred and the entire community as a whole should know that the police will use all assets available to them to investigate this incident and bring those to justice who are responsible for this behavior," he said. "We aggressively pursue gang related activities and their actions are treated as high priority incidents by our Department."
Storm Lake Police were called to 1004 North Walnut Street shortly after 6 a.m. in reference to a report that 20 to 30 people were fighting in the street. Police were advised that the subjects were hitting vehicles with bricks and rocks and people were armed with baseball bats and clubs.
As officers arrived, many of the people fled on foot and in vehicles. Three officers became involved in foot pursuits, each apprehending their suspect. Several subjects were located both outside and inside the residence located at 1004 North Walnut Street. A vehicle full of suspects fleeing the area was stopped by police at 814 Walnut Street and the occupants of the vehicle were detained.
One subject was transported to the Buena Vista Regional Medical Center by paramedics after being struck in the face with a concrete block. A second was later transported by police to the Medical Center and treated for injuries after being struck with a blunt instrument. One officer also sustained minor injuries while capturing a suspect in a foot chase.
The Storm Police Department at the time of the call was having a shift change so both the night shift and the day shift responded to the fight.
Off duty Storm Lake officers were also called in to assist. The Buena Vista County Sheriff's Department and Iowa State Patrol dispatched units to assist at the scene and in the investigation.
Police detained and transported 26 people to the Storm Lake Police Station Sunday.
Police learned in their investigation and through interviews that two groups of people that are involved in gang activity were involved in the fight. The groups have had on-going problems with each other that have resulted in several personal vehicles being damage in Storm Lake over the past few weeks as well as several windows broken at homes have been broken out in connection with the disputes.
At 4 a.m. on Sunday morning windows were broken out in a house located at 814 Walnut Street and windows on a car were broken at 501 Expansion Blvd. at approximately the same time.
The escalation of vandalism may have sparked the rioting at 1004 North Walnut Street. Subjects were armed with golf clubs, bats, pipes and bricks. Several subjects were assaulted in the incident and one vehicle was damaged after being struck with multiple items.
Storm Lake Police have arrested, charged and jailed the following:
* Michael Miranda, age 32 of Storm Lake, Rioting (aggravated misdemeanor), Public Intoxication (simple misdemeanor), cash bond $6,630.
* Chan Khaoorn, age 21 of Storm Lake, Rioting, cash bond $6,500.
* Somkhit Saengkeo, age 26 of Storm Lake, Willful Injury (class D felony), Rioting, cash bond $16,250.
* Keo Khaoorn, age 23 of Storm Lake, Rioting, cash bond $6,500.
* Vinath Sivalay, age 29 of Storm Lake, Rioting, cash bond $6,500.
* Sao Thao, age 23 of Storm Lake, Rioting, cash bond $6,500.
* Jovi Pannyasee, age 19 of Storm Lake, Interference With Official Acts (simple misdemeanor), cash bond $325.
* Michael Samprini, age 20 of Storm Lake, Public Intoxication, Interference With Official Acts, $650 cash bond.
* Viradet Bourommavong, age 23 of Ames, Rioting, Criminal Mischief, $6,825 cash bond.
* Samphanh Inthongsay, age 29 of Storm Lake, Rioting, $6,500 cash bond.
* Bountheung Lo, age 28 of Storm Lake, Rioting, $6,500 cash bond.
* Khio Vongdeuane, age 21 of Storm Lake, Rioting, $6,500 cash bond.
Anyone with additional information in connection with this incident is asked to contact the Storm Lake Police Department at 732-8010.