* Pumpkin Hollow - Opening Saturday, October 9. Come visit Pumpkin Hollow, sponsored by the Maple Valley Ag 4-H Club of Buena Vista County, weekends in October from 1-5 p.m. A School Tour Package can be arranged for October 14 and 15, for more information call 282-4483. 2 miles north of Alta on M31 and a half mile west. Watch for the signs!
* Historical Society Garage Sale - The big 10th annual fundraiser sale is Sept. 30-Oct 2 at the museum, 214 W. 5th Street in Storm Lake, with lots of books, decor, toys and collectibles. Donations for the sale accepted through Sept. 27. Call 732-4955.
* Beginning Guitar Class - Two Beginning Guitar short classes will be offered in Storm Lake by Iowa Central Community College, starting October 6th for the absolute beginner who wants to have fun playing guitar. Group instruction with local musician Rex Wittrock. A 7 p.m. class for younger players, and an 8 p.m. class for teens and adults. Cost is $35 + $18 text fee. Call ICCC to preregister.
* Halloween Hike at Hagge - The Sac County Conservation Board will be holding the Annual Pumpkin Carving Contest and 20th Annual Halloween Night Hike at Hagge Park. The Pumpkin Carving Contest will be held Friday, October 15 at 7 p.m. The Halloween Night Hike will be held on Saturday, October 16 and Sunday, October 17 from 6 to 9 p.m. with groups leaving every ten minutes. A small fee will be charged and refreshments will be provided. To register call 712-662-4530.
* BVU Homecoming Parade - October 8, 4:15, from downtown to the campus. Everyone is welcome.
* Art Show - Sunday, October 10, 2 to 4 p.m. at the Mapleside Friends Community Center (five and a half miles south of Primghar on Highway 59) the O'Brien County Art Club presents its annual exhibit by area artists. Many works in many types, plus refreshments and a memorial to charter member Virginia Rohwer.