The Storm Lake Board of Education discussed future capital improvement projects and staff changes at its recent September meeting.
The high school gym roof is in need of repair or replacement. The cost to make repairs could run $45,000 and a replacement could cost $175,000. Superintendent Bill Kruse said there is grant money available to pay for 25 percent if the board chooses to replace it.
Other projects on the list include upgrading technology, installing and maintaining air conditioning at the high school, upgrading the gym and football stadium, replacing telephone equipment, boiler system repairs, upgrading lights and fixtures, and the construction of a K-4 facility and theater/auditorium.
Supt. Kruse pointed out that there is $274,000 available for these projects minus $60,513 which will be used for the high school addition payment, leaving $213,487. The final payment for the addition will be in 2005-06.
The board has not made a decision on which projects will be completed this year.
Election of officers was completed. Mark Schultz will serve another year as president and Ed McKenna will serve as vice president. Both were re-elected recently.
Contracts were offered to these coaches for the 2005 spring and summer seasons:
* Boys track - high school - Jeff Brennan, head boys track, $3,894; Jim Nichols and Kevin Besch, assistant boys track, $2,921; eighth grade boys track- Tom Ryherd, $1,947; seventh grade boys track - Brian Van Batavia, $1,947.
* Girls track - high school - John Brostad, head girls track, $3,894; Rick Scheidel and Mark Kopriva, assistant girls track, $2,921;
* Girls tennis - Beau Ruleaux, head girls tennis, $2,921; Staci Maloy, assistant girls tennis, $1,947.
* Boys tennis - Ron Netten, head coach, $2,921.
* Boys golf - Dave Skibsted, head coach, $2,921; Patti McKenna, assistant coach, $1,947.
* Girls golf - Steve Berry, head coach, $2,921; Chris Anderson, assistant coach, $1,947.
* Baseball - Bill McCabe, head baseball, $3,894; Tom Ryherd, assistant baseball, $2,921; Craig Lyon, ninth grade baseball, $2,190.
* Softball - Jason Stolzfus, head softball, $3,894; Lori Darrow, assistant softball, $2,921; John Brostad, ninth softball, $2,190.
With the completion of education classes, these teachers have been approved to move up on the pay scale: Chris Anderson, Kathy Bowman, Norma Cazares, Stacey Cole, Anne Hoffard, Cindy James, Sheryl Kleppe, Jean Knapp, Marcella Koth, Kathy McCabe, Julie Miller, Molly Richardson, Tom Ryherd, Connie Salas, Ronda Steenblock and Dep Ung.
The board also approved the hiring of: Nathaniel Cork, ELL, $7.25 per hour; Norma Elizabeth Mancilla, instructional assistant in the Even Start Program, $7 per hour; Duane Brown, special education, $4.75 per hour; Julia Nelson, high school building secretary, $8 per hour.
Board member Kathy Croker's resignation was accepted after eight years on the board. She was recently sworn in as BV County assessor and she felt the two positions could present a possible conflict. She commented she was glad to have had the chance to work with the administrator, staff and educators. "We are extremely lucky here in Storm Lake to have these people. I'm going to miss working with these people," she said in reference to the board. "It's been an honor."
Board president Schultz commented, "She has been great for the board. We will miss having her around."
The board will make an appointment for the completion of Crocker's term which is one year.