[Masthead] Fair ~ 45°F  
High: 63°F ~ Low: 42°F
Monday, May 2, 2016

Samaritans save family

Thursday, July 29, 2004

Early morning blaze destroys Rose Lane home

A Storm Lake home at 1708 Rose Lane was destroyed by fire early Wednesday, and a number of people who rushed in to awaken the family may have saved five lives.

Firefighters were called in shortly after 6:30 a.m.

Two employees of Carrington Electric, several neighbors, and a passing motorist had noticed fire burning on the south exterior wall of the home and pounded on the doors and windows to alert sleeping occupants. The five persons inside the home owned by Songkham Xayavong were safely out before firefighters arrived.

The house was totally engulfed, with flames burning through the roof on the west side and out of windows on the east side.

Firefighters attacked the blaze through the front door of the residence and contained the fire from spreading to an adjacent residence. A home to the west received heat damage to the exterior siding. At least one home across the street received minor damage. No injuries were reported.

Firefighters worked for six hours, assisted by police, local paramedics, and the Iowa State Fire Marshal's Office.

The fire originated on the home's wooden deck. An short in an extension cord used for electrical cooking appliances is suspected.



Respond to this story

Posting a comment requires free registration: