[Masthead] Fog/Mist and Windy ~ 43°F  
High: 55°F ~ Low: 41°F
Saturday, Apr. 30, 2016

Mother who faces prison says she didn't kill her son

Tuesday, December 9, 2003

Timothy Boss' mother says she's tired of all the lying.

Lisa (Boss) Green, who was scheduled to be sentenced in her son's death Monday, told the Daily Sentinel that she wants the truth to be known.

"First and foremost, I did not hurt my son. I did not kill my son. I love all my children. I was not an active participant in Timothy's death." Green told the Le Mars newspaper.

Last month, Green pleaded guilty to reduced charges of voluntary manslaughter, attempted murder, child endangerment and willful injury for her part in the Feb. 23, 2000 death of her adopted son, Timothy.

The 10-year-old boy was strapped to chair and beaten to death. His remains were found buried under the basement of his family's home in Remsen on Feb. 26, 2002.

Timothy's dad, Donald Boss, was convicted last December of first-degree murder and was sentenced to life in prison.

In the interview from her cell at the Plymouth County jail, Green said she has serious reservations about her plea bargain.

"I will not admit I hurt my son, because I did not hurt my son," she said.

Green faces up to 50 years in prison, but could be eligible for parole after 17 1/2 years.

She told the Daily Sentinel that she shouldn't have pleaded guilty because she didn't do it.

Her crime, she believes, is that she lived with and returned to living with Donald Boss, which put her children - seven biological children and four adopted special needs children - in danger.

"I kept going back to him. That's my fault. I kept going back with my children. I knew I was probably going to get abused; but, I never thought anything would happen to my children," she said.

She said she thought she was doing her best to protect her family.

She said she was afraid for her other children and that is why she didn't report the crime and helped hide Timothy's body.

"I'm guilty of not telling Timothy died," she said.

Lisa Green said Donald Boss was angry at her the night Timothy died. She doesn't know when Donald turned his anger to the boy.

Timothy went downstairs and Donald Boss followed him. That was the last time she saw Timothy alive, she said.

"I wish it had been me, rather than my son," she said. "I think I was just numb."

Two years later, in January 2002, when the police came to the Boss' home, they first talked to Lisa.

She and the children had been living in Michigan since the fall of 2001, but had returned to Remsen after the holidays. She'd been in town less than a day when the Plymouth County deputies came to the house to inquire about Timothy's well-being.

Lisa Green said she lied to them.

"Don had given me different stories to tell different people. I couldn't keep them straight," she said.

She called her husband at work.

"He got mad. He was screaming and throwing things. He told me to get out of there and I left. I was just trying to get my kids safe."

Lisa Green fled with nine of her children. They eventually were found in Montana. Green has remained in custody since then.

Her children have been placed in foster care.

Respond to this story

Posting a comment requires free registration: