The Storm Lake City Council got a look at the city's latest addition to public safety Tuesday night following the council meeting.
Public Safety Director Mark Prosser and members of the Storm Lake police force and fire department demonstrated the use of its portable decontamination unit for the council behind city hall.
Police Lt. Jeff Lundberg, police officer Chris Raveling and firefighter Josh Fevold, who make up the lab response team, set up the nylon tent and showed council members and mayor Jon Kruse how the system would be used to cleanse subjects in event of an emergency such as a chemical spill at a factory, hazardous material exposure or if people became contaminated during a methamphetamine raid.
Prosser said Ron Lahr, manager of the Buena Vista Mutual Insurance association, facilitated the $10,000 donation for the decontamination unit.
In other business the council approved the following nine resolutions and two ordinances:
* A Community Memorial request to install a decorative fence and sign on the west side of the Otsego right of way.
* A request by Fratzke and Jensen Funeral Home, Sleifert-Asmus Funeral Home and the Storm Lake Ministerial Association to close Lake Avenue from Railroad Street north to 5th Street on Thursday, Sept. 11, between 5 p.m. and 6:30 p.m. for a Community Memorial Service in memory of the lives lost and injuries sustained during the terrorist attacks on Sept. 11, 2001.
* A request by Marilyn Monson of the Storm Lake Chamber of Commerce to close Lake Avenue from 5th Street north to 6th Street on Thursday, Sept.18, for sidewalk sales as well as street food vendors in the 500 and 600 blocks of Lake Avenue. This also includes a noise variance. This request is specific to the annual "Thanks with Franks" event.
* The $71, 438.40 contract, performance bond and insurance certificate with Illowa Investment Inc. of Blue Grass, Iowa, for phase one of the airport runway rehabilitation project in Storm Lake.
* A $30,000 contract with TMI Coatings, Inc., of St. Paul, Minn., for Storm Lake's 750,000 gallon elevated water storage repair project.
* Change order No. 3 to increase by the amount of $16,921 as a modification to the construction contract for the water treatment plant improvements.
* Signing of the date of substantial completion for the 2003 asphaltic concrete street improvement project as Aug. 8, 2003.
* Change order No. 1 of $1,425 on Phase 2 of the LakeTrail project.
* An agreement between the Iowa Department of Transportation and the City of Storm Lake for funds to be used for the purpose of paving the 1,260 feet of the gravel section of the east end of Expansion Boulevard.
* An amendment to the city's burning ordinance to be approved on a third reading on Sept. 15, 2003.
* On the first reading, an amendment to the municipal code to add a no parking zone on the north side of Tornado Drive for the first 110 feet east of the intersection of Tornado Drive and Oneida Street to enable buses to move to the north side of Tornado and make the turn south without blocking traffic.
The council also approved the appointment of Mike Vandersloot of the Security Trust and Savings Bank to a civil service commission position.