High: 67°F ~ Low: 44°F
Thursday, May 23, 2013
Food on a StickPosted Wednesday, July 4, 2012, at 8:55 AM
County fair season will be underway this month and soon after it will be time for state fairs.
Apparently, each state fair vendors want to outdo each other and come up with the craziest deep-fried food that can be eaten from a stick.
I am not sure why it is that people are more likely to try these weird concoctions while at a fair. Maybe it is the excitement of their surroundings that leads them to doing something or eating something they would never otherwise do so they can proudly proclaim, "I did it."
Iowa State Fair has been known to serve deep-fried Twinkies, Ho Hos, Snickers and even butter. (What's that all about? Aren't there enough calories in these items before throwing them in a vat of oil?)
Check out these other state fair delicacies that I discovered:
* Arizona - meal worm covered caramel apples (yum - not!) Apparently you can also find deep-dried crickets, too. (I would gladly sell them all the crickets we have chirping around our house.)
* Florida - cheeseburger topped with fried ice cream.
* Kansas - instead of the fruity-flavored icies we know about, they serve pickle juice icies.
* California - one vendor replaced chicken on a stick with phython meat on a stick. (Ssssssounds delicious.)
* Wisconsin - Elvis on a Stick (The Slim McGinn's stand pays homage to Elvis and his love for excess with a deep-fried banana, battered peanut butter cup with bacon.)
* Alabama - Krispy Kreme hamburgers. This doughnut burger features a quarter pound hamburger, bacon, cheese packed between two Krispy Kreme doughnuts in place of buns. I see a heart attack coming on this one.
* Oregon - Roadkill. Not real roadkill but a flattened deep-fried dough delicacy that looks like it tried to cross the road at the wrong time complete with oozing fruity sauces and syrups.
* South Carolina - Fried Pepsi Cola. Fried dough injected with Pepsi and topped with powdered sugar and more Pepsi.
* Arkansas - deep-fried hard boiled egg on a stick. A hard boiled egg dipped in a batter and oil and served with a selection of dipping sauces. (What a yolk that is.)
* Illinois - alligator on a stick. After enjoying gator antics at the Swampmaster Alligator Show, visitors can sample the entertainment - deep-fried on a stick.
* North Carolina - Kool-aid pickles. Pickles soaked in Kool-aid also known as koolicles.
* Minnesota - spaghetti on a stick. Spaghetti mixed in meatballs then cooked, battered, fried and showered and rolled in marinara sauce.
* Ohio - chocolate-covered bacon on a stick (also known as muddy pig.)
I have an idea - how about chunks of fresh fruit or vegetables on a stick? It would probably get booed by the deep-fried fanatics, as they are being wheeled away to the ambulance.
Showing most recent comments first
[Show in chronological order instead]
Lorri Glawe is a reporter for the Pilot Tribune in Storm Lake.