Light Snow ~
Winter Weather Advisory
Sunday, Dec. 8, 2013
Trip down memory lanePosted Wednesday, May 25, 2011, at 12:49 PM
I grew up in the 1970s - as my kids would say, "back in the dinosaur ages" and loved everything about it. We didn't have to worry about which computer game to play because there were no computers or which of the 5,000 cartoons to watch at any time of the day or night - cartoon day was on Saturday - and only in the morning. There are many "things" we grew up with that kids of today would be embarrassed to be seen with.
One of my best friends from my teenage years shared this with me and it made me smile. I thank her for taking me on a trip down memory lane.
You were a girl in the 1970S (and '80s) if...
* You wore a rainbow shirt that had half-sleeves; the rainbow went up one sleeve, across your chest, and down the other.
*You made baby chocolate cakes in your Easy Bake Oven and washed them down with snow cones from your Snoopy Snow Cone Machine.
* You owned a bicycle with a banana seat and a plastic basket with flowers on it.
* You learned to skate with actual skates (not roller blades) that had metal wheels.
* You thought Gopher from the Love Boat was cute! (Admit it!)
* You had nightmares after watching Fantasy Island.
* You had rubber boots for rainy days and Moon boots for snowy days.
* You had either a "bowl cut" or "pixie," not to mention the "Dorothy Hamill" because your mom was sick of braiding your hair. People sometimes thought you were a boy.
* Your Holly Hobbie sleeping bag was your most prized possession.
* You wore a poncho, gauchos, and knickers.
* You spent hours in your backyard on your metal swing set with the trapeze. (The swing set tipped over at least once!)
* You had a pair of Doctor Scholl's sandals (the ones with hard sole and the buckle).
* You wanted to be Laura Ingalls Wilder really bad; you wore that Little House on the Prairie-inspired plaid, ruffle shirt with the high neck in at least one school picture; and you despised Nellie Olson!
* You wanted your first kiss to be at a roller rink.
* Your hairstyle was described as having "wings" or "feathers" and you kept it "pretty" with the comb you kept in your back pocket.
* It was a big event in your household each year when the "Wizard of Oz" would come on TV. Your mom would break out the popcorn and sleeping bags!
* You often asked your Magic-8 ball the question: "Who will I marry. David Cassidy, Donny Osmond or Bobby Sherman?"
Lorri Glawe is a reporter for the Pilot Tribune in Storm Lake.